Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My Snapped Crank Shaft on the A3- Read On

rudegoode

Hi All

Some of you may remember i wrote in a couple of months ago to tell you some fool had just driven in to the side of me and my car (996 C4 Cab) had to go in for some fairy hefty work with Chandler Stewart (Porsche Approved bodywork shop). The bill came to £8500 and i got the car back 2 weeks ago!

All semed fine (well nearly) - i had a couple of problems with the roof alignment which it had to go back to Porsche East London to get sorted, and i finally got it back - good and proper - on Wednesday night.

THEN - driving down the A3 yesterday morning past Guildford, in the 50mph zone, i was in the outside lane and suddenly as i put my foot on the gas, BANG BANG BANG BANG, all power gone, sh*t my pants, horrible noise - i thought the engine had fallen out!!!!!!

I had to pull over - slowly - in to the slip road, call the AA and the Police because i was in such a dangerous place and wait to see what the hell had gone wrong with my fing car.

It couldnt be towed. It had to go on the back of a truck and taken to Chelsea Carrera - my local bunch - who put in straight on the ramp and told me i had a broken crank shaft!!!!! This, they said, could only have happened as a result of someone not Torqueing the suspension or whatever properly when the work was done and therefore when it was driven, it came loose and and snapped.

God knows what would have happened it i had been on a track doing 160mph, or even on a motorway doing a ton......

Once the diganosis was clear, Chandler Stewart arranged to pick the car up and get it shipped to Porsche East London where it had gone for a final check before i was given it back in the first place.......

I am currently awating a phone call frpm Porsche with an explanation...

I CURRENTLY AM WITHOUT CAR AND VERY PISSED OFF....

Any advice chaps?

Dan.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67336

Dan

I'me no expert but have tinkered with a few cars in the past and the mention of suspension causing a crankshaft to fail is a bit strange and I would put my money on one of two things

The crankshaft was going to fail anyway due to some mechanical / manufacturer fault, or

The impact of the accident as some how caused the misalignment of the crank and as been turning out of true and caused failure.

Dick

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67338

Hi Dick,

Cheers for that. Either way my main concern is shouldnt this have been something they checked / picked up? They have had it for 2 months and it is a Porsche, not Ford...

Or - not?

Regards,

Dan.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67341

It's Porsche. Ford far more rugged and attuned to customer needs.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67351

not good..

"Porsche Approved bodywork shop" are good at body worrk but not so mechanically

same issue with Premierbodyshop (Watford) but excellent bodywork and Solus (Heathrow) who I avoid at all costs !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67364

I'm guessing he means a drive-shaft is broken not the crankshaft.

Particularly as the car has recently had a serious side impact and it sounds like some suspension components where replaced. It may have had a fracture that wasn't noticed in the original damage assessment.

Andy04 996 C2 Manual Basalt

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67373

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Andy Watling on 21 July 2006

I'm guessing he means a drive-shaft is broken not the crankshaft.

Particularly as the car has recently had a serious side impact and it sounds like some suspension components where replaced. It may have had a fracture that wasn't noticed in the original damage assessment.

Andy04 996 C2 Manual Basalt
I'm with you Andy. The only way a crank is going to break like this is if the the gearbox to engine bolts have not been tightened. It's far more likely the broken component is the driveshaft - far cheaper to put right me thinks.

Jo

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67375

Hang in there mate, it will get sorted eventually.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67417

Your right, it was the Drive Shaft.

I am actually so pi**ed off with it all i am thinking of selling and getting something else... confidence has been lost i'm afraid.

Any suggestions?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67442

I'd suggest staying in bed for a while the way your luck seems to be running!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67478

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7CUU
Back