Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 997.2 to sell or not to sell?

b8575

Silverstone
As the title says, I've had my 997.2 for a couple of years now but I don't think I drive it enough and I'm toying with selling it. I've done about 3K miles since I've had it and that includes a 1K road trip. So not much at all.

I can't think of anything specific I'd replace it with, maybe an m2, but that's probably just be the grass is greener. I think I'm just not that into driving it (or anything) any more, I don't track it etc.

Is anyone in the same position? I kind of think it's a waste sitting on the drive and using it for the occasional jolly but know I'm very lucky to be able to have it and always wanted one. Maybe it's just a mid life crisis :)

Take advantage of the crazy prices. Sell now.

Buy something in the bleakest days of winter when prices will be off and market will have calmed down.

If you have no inclination to drive a 997.2 then you certainly won't an M2, unless you plan to use it as your daily.

What is it about the 997 that stops you using it more?

I think time is my biggest issue to be honest, which is why you're right about the M2. When we use the cars, it's mainly for the kids so the 997 rarely gets used.

When I took it on the road trip, I enjoyed it but not as much as I thought I would!

b8575 said:
........ When I took it on the road trip, I enjoyed it but not as much as I thought I would!

Where did you take it :?:

T8 said:

From the south east up to Scotland to do part of the north coast 250. Beautiful scenery and roads, much better than in England. A lot of time on the motorway. To be fair, it didn't miss a beat on the drive up or down. Sailed through the service and MOT afterwards too :)

b8575 said:
I think time is my biggest issue to be honest, which is why you're right about the M2. When we use the cars, it's mainly for the kids so the 997 rarely gets used.

When I took it on the road trip, I enjoyed it but not as much as I thought I would!

Sounds like you've answered your own question... I'd sell while prices are strong.

It is hard to make time for driving for fun if your family isn't in to it as well.

Maybe something like an RS6 Avant would fit the bill?

Robertb said:
Sounds like you've answered your own question... I'd sell while prices are strong.

It is hard to make time for driving for fun if your family isn't in to it as well.

Maybe something like an RS6 Avant would fit the bill?

Yes, they're not into it at all. You're probably right about selling but you always have that niggling doubt in the back of your mind.

You can always buy another!

I did that... sold a 996 4S, missed it and bought another 8 yrs later.

Be careful if you sell that it doesn't become a new kitchen or something!

b8575 said:
T8 said:

From the south east up to Scotland to do part of the north coast 250. Beautiful scenery and roads, much better than in England. A lot of time on the motorway. To be fair, it didn't miss a beat on the drive up or down. Sailed through the service and MOT afterwards too :)

Take it on a trip to Mid/North Wales or The Yorkshire Dales and you'll really get to love the car. Motorway trips are a chore but (most times) get you to really good places quickly.

If you're in the South East there's some fun roads in South and East Kent too.

Sell it if you're not using it.

If you're worried how you feel, add up the cost of storage, Insurance, maintenance, tyres, fuel etc. and think what else you could do with the money, whether that's high end stereos, bitcoin or Rolexes.

Thanks for all the responses

bazhart said:
Just a reminder that we are still looking for a 9A1 Gen 2 3.8 manual high mileage car to fit our development 4.2 engine into Baz Hartech

Unfortunately, it's a relatively low mileage 3.6!

MaxA said:
Sell it if you're not using it.

If you're worried how you feel, add up the cost of storage, Insurance, maintenance, tyres, fuel etc. and think what else you could do with the money, whether that's high end stereos, bitcoin or Rolexes.

The cost of fuel isn't so high as I don't use it that much but Insurance and maintenance (as I try to keep my cars in good condition) must be a lot per mile. I haven't added it up so as not to give myself a heart attack!

T8 said:
Take it on a trip to Mid/North Wales or The Yorkshire Dales and you'll really get to love the car. Motorway trips are a chore but (most times) get you to really good places quickly.

If you're in the South East there's some fun roads in South and East Kent too.

I'd love to do another road trip, time is the issue though!

Stotti said:
Be careful if you sell that it doesn't become a new kitchen or something!

definitely not! :nooo:

Robertb said:
You can always buy another!

I did that... sold a 996 4S, missed it and bought another 8 yrs later.

You're of course right but in 8 years' time, they'll probably cost half a million :D

I'm in exactly the same position with the same car (997.2 C2).

I've owned it just over 3 years and barely driven it in that time, like you I don't know what I'd replace it with without spending 2-3 times it's value and even then I'm not sure I'd use the replacement much more either.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsl997
Back