Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 996TT - 3 months of Ownership

Jamesyg

Being new to the forum, I thought I would share my 996 Turbo with you (purchased 3 months ago).

Having been on the look out for some time, and lusted over 911's since I was a child, being able to purchase one of my own as my first Porsche seem's like an absoloute privelage.

Having looked at a good number, I eventually purcashed this car for a reasonable price from a private seller - expecting to do some work to get it near perfect ( but also appreciating it would give me the opportunity to get to know the car ).

Since purchased I have replaced a track rod arm, bled the spoiler system, fixed the spoiler microswitch, blown a radiator drain plug.. causing me to flush the coolant and refill, then recently blowing one of the bonded hoses behind the alternator, fixing that, replacing all 4 tyres and having the car 4 wheel alligned.

However.. I absoloutly love it. The colour seems reasonably unique.. Obsidian Silver ( has a gold hue ), and the car itself drives flawlessy!

Welcome!
Love the colour!
Out of interest what made you walk away from some of the other Turbo's you looked at?

Zantaz said:
Welcome!
Love the colour!
Out of interest what made you walk away from some of the other Turbo's you looked at?

A few things.. I found 2 that had corrosion around the air con condensors.

I went to see another that looked fantastic in the flesh and on paper, but just sounded like an absoloute bag of spanners on idle ( more so then usual!).

Looked at a GT2 with high mileage that pumped out a lot of smoke which made me worry about head gasket issues.

Saw an amazing guards red car, that had an awful knocking over slow bumps - clearly a front anti roll bar bushing, that the owner refused to acknowledge. Combined with the car feeling very unstable at high speed, and the owner being uncomfortable during the test drive when I put the car under a little boost pressure.

And another had a clear coolant leak which I felt uncomfortable with - culd envisage a possible engine drop!

Was just something about this car that I gelled with immediatly - realised that it needed some work, but was also aware that for the price, and the compliexity of the work, it would stay under budget. Also the FPSH, and the transparency of the owner regards work required and work done just made it feel right.

cheers dude! great feedback and enjoy your 911 ownership :thumb:

Obsidian silver. :eek:

First one I've seen in that colour.

Like you I'm 3 months into 996T ownership. Only 2,300 miles in I'm still on :cloud9:

Mine had 5 rads replaced, recent discs and pads and a major service including plugs before I bought it so I haven't needed to spend a penny since.

4 new tyres and a full GEO have enhanced the experience though.

I look forward to hearing of your driving experiences as time goes on. :thumb:

As we're quite local to each other I'm sure we'll be able to meet too.

Lovely car and nice color too . A little remap maybe .....?

Very nice :D

Was the GT2 the silver 93k miles one at Simon Furlongers?

RWD_cossie_wil said:

That's the one. Really nice people and a fantastic garage though!

Have you looked at it?

quattrosteph said:
Lovely car and nice color too . A little remap maybe .....?

Tempting... very tempting!! Maybe just a push to 450bhp... do fancy a milltek system at somepoint... and a GT2 fixed wing.

Jamesyg said:
RWD_cossie_wil said:

That's the one. Really nice people Andean a fantastic garage though!

Have you looked at it?

No, but I was surprised at it not selling very quickly at that price despite the mileage.

I have been sniffing round buying a 996tt for a while now, but keep thinking I should really get a GT2, as its a bit more lairy for a "fun" car than a turbo?

What were your overall impressions of it, a bit rough round the edges?

RWD_cossie_wil said:
Jamesyg said:
RWD_cossie_wil said:

That's the one. Really nice people Andean a fantastic garage though!

Have you looked at it?

No, but I was surprised at it not selling very quickly at that price despite the mileage.

I have been sniffing round buying a 996tt for a while now, but keep thinking I should really get a GT2, as its a bit more lairy for a "fun" car than a turbo?

What were your overall impressions of it, a bit rough round the edges?

I would go and take a look at it, is a little rough, and has clearly had a lot of track use. The garage are selling it in behalf if its current owner, who has purchased a Ferrari from them.

It could have possibly just been the typical porsche oil dump you get on random start ups, on the test drive it seemed good.

I then spent nearly an hour in there work shop looking at some of their projects and chatting over a cuppa

Worth a visit for sure.

T8 said:

Same here. Its not meridian silver is it?
The boxster I owned was meridian and looked very similar :dont know:

adamw said:
T8 said:

Same here. Its not meridian silver is it?
The boxster I owned was meridian and looked very similar :dont know:

Nope, definitely Obsidian.. According to the VO5 at least. Will double check the code under the bonnet

Jamesyg said:
Nope, definitely Obsidian.. According to the VO5 at least. Will double check the code under the bonnet

:popcorn:

Thinking about it a bit more, I've never heard of Obsidian Silver.

Isn't 'obsidian' black :?:

Yes, obsidian is black.

The colour information on the V5 isn't definitive. My old B5 RS4 was listed as purple/mauve on the V5 even though it was silver.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnvt
Back