Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MOT failed!

nhenson

Trainee
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
85
Took the ol' gal down for her annual inspection, poor thing has failed on the single most major item of HID headlamp washers inoperative!

The windscreen washers work fine, but not the headlamps...

I've not had chance to investigate, but would welcome comments on where and what to look for...ie do they have a separate pump? Fuse? I'm presuming they use the same reservoir? Etc

Actually looking forward to playing with her over the weekend....but it's a shame she's failed, passed every previous test....!
 
Headlamp washers wash when:

headlamps on and underside headlamp wash button pressed

OR

headlamps on and every TENTH windscreen wash
 
ragpicker said:
Surely that should just be an advisory?

Looks like the MOT tester lost the batteries for his dildo that morning and took it out on you!

Not if you have HIDs/Xenons, unfortunately. You'll get a failure if you don't have functioning self-levelling either. The MOT is now a lot tougher on these things. Sure, a "friendly" MOT station might ignore it but it is the law.
 
rottenbend said:
ragpicker said:
Surely that should just be an advisory?

Looks like the MOT tester lost the batteries for his dildo that morning and took it out on you!

Not if you have HIDs/Xenons, unfortunately. You'll get a failure if you don't have functioning self-levelling either. The MOT is now a lot tougher on these things. Sure, a "friendly" MOT station might ignore it but it is the law.

Technically it's: "Not if you have HIDs/Xenons and defective washers, unfortunately"

Having no washers is not a fail.

It's like rear wiper.

Having no rear wiper: no fail.
Rear wiper present, but doesn't work: fail
 
GT4 said:
rottenbend said:
ragpicker said:
Surely that should just be an advisory?

Looks like the MOT tester lost the batteries for his dildo that morning and took it out on you!

Not if you have HIDs/Xenons, unfortunately. You'll get a failure if you don't have functioning self-levelling either. The MOT is now a lot tougher on these things. Sure, a "friendly" MOT station might ignore it but it is the law.

Technically it's: "Not if you have HIDs/Xenons and defective washers, unfortunately"

Having no washers is not a fail.

It's like rear wiper.

Having no rear wiper: no fail.
Rear wiper present, but doesn't work: fail

If you have HIDs which produce over 2000 lumens, you MUST have headlight washers and self-levelling otherwise it is a test fail. Retrofit HIDS without washers and self-levelling are now a fail according to the new rules.
 
So what I said is true, just for older xenons.

Eg first gen HIDs in Lexus, Merc etc etc

Plus of course, all sports cars are exempt from levelling.

I thought the rules for pre-existing and converted existing type-approved was still on the "test if there" basis?

Normally they aren't retrospective.

Do you have a source for the new rules?
 
GT4 said:
So what I said is true, just for older xenons.

I think we're saying the same thing but for the purposes of clarification:

If you have Xenons (or HIDs) but no washers fitted, you will technically also fail according to the new rules which came into force in March 2013. All cars with standard fit Xenons sold in the EU have washers and self-levelling.
 
I edited while you replied, so there is more info my post above.

But I reiterate the retrospective aspect.

Your comment "All cars with standard fit Xenons sold in the EU have washers and self-levelling" is the type-approval aspect.

That is manufacturer requirement from a set point in time, it is not a retrospective owner requirement.
 
GT4 said:
I edited while you replied, so there is more info my post above.

But I reiterate the retrospective aspect.

Your comment "All cars with standard fit Xenons sold in the EU have washers and self-levelling" is the type-approval aspect.

That is manufacturer requirement from a set point in time, it is not a retrospective owner requirement.


Thanks Paul

There is generally some confusion about this which is primarily VOSA's fault. However, I have based my opinion on the testing directive issued by VOSA which says:

"Therefore, in order to pass the MOT test, vehicles fitted with after-market HID systems would also need to be fitted with headlamp cleaning and self-levelling systems"

Source http://www.partinfo.co.uk/docs/2048 page 3 paragraph 6.

Whether this has been changed, deemed to be illegal or incorrect subsequently, I couldn't tell you.

I suspect that it will very much depend on which MOT testing station you go to
:thumb:
 
Sport car exemption from levelling still exists though, doesn't it?
 
GT4 said:
Sport car exemption from levelling still exists though, doesn't it?

Yes and there is also a clause which says that if there is any doubt as to whether washers or self-levelling are required then the benefit of the doubt should be given and an advisory notice issued. Anyone caught out by this should probably appeal on this basis.
 
Nice.

That sort of undoes all the prior boiler plate :roll:
 

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
124,552
Messages
1,446,262
Members
49,684
Latest member
V164
Back
Top