Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Mono Ball Top Mount Road Noise

ndg

Trainee
Hi All,

I'm looking to switch my C2 to a more focused suspension setup. Primarily for 'fast road' use - A and B roads. Some of the suspension options out there are are designed around the OE rubber mount and some around mono-ball top mounts. I'm currently inclined towards keeping the OE mounts, as it's a road not a track car, but I've had experience in BMW's where it didn't make much difference to road noise, so could be worth it for the extra precision.

If you have gone from standard rubber top mounts to mono ball top mounts (KW V3 PSS9 etc), what is your impression of the increase in road noise? If anyone has a car on mono-balls in the midlands and we me up for taking me for a passenger ride that would be great so I can get a direct feel for it.

Happy to bring mine along for a back to back - currently on M030.

Thanks

Not on a 911, but I had front pillow ball top mounts on a 3 series E92 BMW.

NVH was surprisingly low!

Yeah, BMW's seems to be pretty robust at the top mounts, just concerned that having the rear mounts in the cabin with you might be poor!

I’ve been running mono ball top mounts for several years now (around 30,000 kms). I bought them used and at first they made a loud “clack” noise, but once I replaced the bearing, no issues what so ever.

Did you notice any increase in road noise when you switched?

Cheers

The majority of solid top mounts are used to provide damper adjustments on strut tops, on a 996, you cant get to the adjusters without chopping a larger whole in the strut top, which is not recommended!

I have a 996 GT3, these come with solid top mounts. There is a noticeable difference in noise compared to my old C2 on PSS9 and std top mounts. Mainly low speed maneuvering and negative wheel travel.

For a road car, I would ALWAYS go with rubber top mounts.

Used to have Mono ball tops in a former, 996 with KW’s, noise was never an issue other than what was transmitted through the firmer suspension and the stiffer ride quality

Stick with the OE rubber top mounts they transmit waaaaaay less NVH. Just make sure they're in tip top condition (or better still, they're new).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back