Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Momentary power loss

Weston Matt

Monza
Evening,

Driving today I experienced some power loss in 1st and 2nd. It was momentarily, took my foot off the accelerator and put back on and ok.

I wasn't driving hard, just went to accelerate and nothing, not happened before

Any ideas? Car is .1c2s

Thanks

Do you have a fault code reader ? first check is to see if there are any fault codes logged ..

possibly a fuel pump issue but that's mainly at a high load situation .. maf .. hmm .. basically we need somewhere to start as there could be many items causing this ..

hence a fault code readout as a starting point .

Tip or manual as the tip box can cause .. well .. similar ish faults .

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a reader yet - will look to get one.

it's a manual too. Not happened before, so not sure what's up.

Mine's been doing this too. Only when passing 1500rpm, any gear, if you give more than light throttle application.

I swapped the MAF as I had a spare, no difference.

It was suggested I look at the spark plugs next.

Is a bit weird.

Off for MOT at OPC next week so will get them to check for codes, although nothing on my cheapy OBD reader.

That does sound like mine. Does it happen all the time or just occasionally?

My spark plugs were changed in December so it shouldn't be them

I need to get a reader - need to research some

Mine does it every time, every gear, through 1500rpm.

Has done very little mileage and had long spells of no use at all since the start of 2020, no idea if that's related.

I had it again today, not every time but at least twice. Changed gear and nothing when I hit the accelerator. Took my foot off tried again and all ok.

@rivaldo2k20 did yours do the same as mine?

It would be helpful to know the exact circumstances of this happening.

Are you saying that you dip the clutch, change gear and then get back on the accelerator once you have released the clutch.

If so my guess would the clutch switch pedal, and the car thinking you still have the clutch depressed so doesn't allow throttle.

I had a similar issue with mine, except that mine generally occurred when coming out of a junction. I could apply power very briefly and then I would lose all acceleration. In my case I changed both the brake and the clutch switch and that fixed it. I don't know which switch fixed mine but always assumed it was the brake switch as it only ever did it at junctions.

Good luck with finding the fault - but brake and clutch switches are cheap and easy to replace.

Andrew

:agree:

I know for certain that pressing the brake pedal then trying to accelerate gives you no throttle .. i'm not sure about the clutch switch but it is logical .

For this fault ..there will be no fault codes but the value of the brake pedal sensor can be seen on a tester under actual values and brake pedal switch and if its slow to go closed after pressing the brake pedal then this will be it .

This is a 2 stage switch so you need to look at both values or get an indy to check .

It might as suggested be worth just replacing them to rule this out .. sometimes .. as much as i hate i it .. throwing parts at a car is justified .

Hi Andrew

Yes, exactly as you describe. I'll get new switches and give it a go

Thanks for the replies and I'll report back with the results

Matt

hermes said:
Mine's been doing this too. Only when passing 1500rpm, any gear, if you give more than light throttle application.

I swapped the MAF as I had a spare, no difference.

It was suggested I look at the spark plugs next.

Is a bit weird.

Off for MOT at OPC next week so will get them to check for codes, although nothing on my cheapy OBD reader.

So no codes and a clean MOT. I tried fitting a new brake pedal switch as it was cheap, but no change.

As I have a non standard exhaust (full Cargraphic with 200 cel cats), I'm thinking maybe experiment on a rolling road at some point.

Seems odd that it's a given rpm and throttle pedal position only though.

This may come as a surprise to some of you, but there's a very common reason why this happens and its a free fix!

Check that your floor mat isn't getting caught under the clutch pedal, as this restricts the pedal travel and amazingly gives you a symptom of a loss of power. This happened to me not so long ago.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fluellen
Back