Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Microfibre vs Chamois

Russell Fryett

Hi there,
A tip I picked up from the cleaning guide that came with from Mothers was to NOT use a chamois to dry the car, but to use a microfibre cloth.
I had heard this elsewhere too, e.g. Zymol's guff about using english cod-tanned chamois only (do cod have nationalities? :? ) .
Chamois can remove wax due to a suction effect created by the water being absorbed or something. This effect does not occur with microfibre cloths.
I tried using a microfibre cloth and I think that Mothers are right! Not only is the car quicker to dry, the cloth is easier to maintain and the wax DEFINITELY lasts longer. :D

I use a coarse-weave cloth initially to do the heavy soaking up, then a fine-weave cloth to finish off (make sure this one only feels lightly damp, not waterlogged, for best results) and a separate fine-weave for the windows. The results are close to faultless.

Hope it helps - anything to preserve the wax, especially Concourse :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35128

Got to agree on the use of MF cloths on drying. Also very good for washing as well.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35146

Russell, where do you get your coarse weaves and fine weaves? I've only got one Zymol weave and a Meguiar's weave. Are those coarse or fine? Dunno.

Interesting tip, though. I'd have said that a chammy takes off the wax via fine abrasion rather than though some suction boll***s, though...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35153

Buy the blue MF from B&Q manufactured by Ettore. Puts the Zymol one to shame and has a long weave on one side and a fine weave on the other.

I use two to dry the car and it is always spotless.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35163

Cheers, fellas!

Ettore Bugatti, eh? The old devil...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35167

I have always found that 100% cotton towels, 75p from Tesco, do the trick. I also use two, one to get most of the water off, and one to finish. Works an absolute treat.

S

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35183

I use one of those water blades made of silicon and then a conventional cotton towel.I find that this works very well and is quick to do.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35236

Water blades will put scratches into the car paintwork and cotton is not as good a MF.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35258

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fluellen
Back