Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

LSD recommendation (996 C2)

szakool

Hello

I'd like to put a LSD in my 1998 Carrera 2 that is 50% weekend/50% track day car. Anyone has experience with the UK based Gripper? They offer a 40/65 differential for just over 1000 GBP+tax.

Guard is well known in the US but gets expensive once imported to EU. Wavetrac not sure if will help much with braking stability. Anything else?

Thanks!

Quaif torque style diff gets good reviews. Apparently more suited to spirited road and doesn't need rebuilding.

I had a chat with NineX motorsport about this recently and they said the best diffs were coming out of Japan (due to their passion for drifting); most competitive Porsche cars they see are running KAAZ diffs

82DVY said:
I had a chat with NineX motorsport about this recently and they said the best diffs were coming out of Japan (due to their passion for drifting); most competitive Porsche cars they see are running KAAZ diffs

That's quite interesting. It makes sense, too.

Did they share any UK distributers with you? I can't see anything for the G96/00 transmission

I've got a Quaife in mine which is great in a road car, feels the same as an open diff but stops the inside wheel breaking traction which is great. Also skids are easier!

For a track car though I would have though the stability under braking of a plate diff would be advantageous and the compromises with low speed manoeuvring and clunking less of an issue.

Shalmaneser said:
I've got a Quaife in mine which is great in a road car, feels the same as an open diff but stops the inside wheel breaking traction which is great. Also skids are easier!

For a track car though I would have though the stability under braking of a plate diff would be advantageous and the compromises with low speed manoeuvring and clunking less of an issue.

Wot he said.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Also agree need a proper plate diff hence Wavetrack/Quaiffe is not really an option. Any first hand experience with Gripper or OS Giken (JP)? The KAAZ doesnt seem to make the model for 996 C2.

I know the guys at Gripper/Dave Mac Propshafts and have used their diffs to great effect over the years (but not in a 996). Never had a failure and ended up having to change plates less frequently than we first planned, so - bonus.

They're manufactured in Coventry, the centre of the automotive universe in the UK and also my hometown, a fact which may or may not give you a degree of reassurance. :bandit: :thumb:

szakool said:
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Also agree need a proper plate diff hence Wavetrack/Quaiffe is not really an option. Any first hand experience with Gripper or OS Giken (JP)? The KAAZ doesnt seem to make the model for 996 C2.

I thought Wavetrac does provide stability under braking. It also works when a wheel comes off the ground and in no load conditions, that's why it's the best of both.

We have OS Giken superlock on our modified RWD Turbo. Works great to be fair.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NBavers
Back