Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

locking wheel nut socket help!!

corsarob

Silverstone
well,i have a nail in my front tyre,went to get it fixed today,i put the locking nut socket on and as i started to turn it slipped off,or so i thought,no it has snapped!!!!! tried to get it welded back together again as its useless and it just snapped again,so i called in to kwik fit and they said they cant touch it as they may be stealing the wheels off a car that doesnt belong to me!!!! What.
i have the snapped locking socket in my hand and the keys to my car,they then proceeded to tell me the only way is to take it to porsche themselves and they will be able to do it,surely there is a easier way thats cheaper and doesnt include me taking a day off work and driving miles to my closest opc

Yep find a socket that is slightly to small maybe imperial then hammer the bu**er on and make it fit. Then remove as usual :thumb:

NO! DONT MESS ABOUT YOU MAY DAMAGE A WHEEL OR MAKE IT EVEN HARDER TO GET OFF AND IT WILL COST MORE.

Assuming its standard Porsche not aftermarket. If you can please tape the parts together and take a photo. Email it to me and I will see if I can match it from one of my spares. Its possible.

It may help to TIGHTEN the standard bolts as much as you can to take pressure off the locking one. Also spray some lube around the collar. These often seize to the bolthead causing extra resistance, hence why service manual says grease with Optimol between the collar and head.

You can go to OPC on Saturday morning its not far is it? Bolton or Wilmslow.

To be safe I would buy an emergency tyre repair plug kit (ebay easiest). Then remove nail rather than risk driving on it. Then you can wait til you have time to get to OPC.

Always with lockers remove first and refit last.

If lockers are tight then use a mallet on the wrench at 90 degrees to the handle (ie in line with socket) while you use downward pressure on the wrench with your free hand. This just ensures max pressure against the twisting forces and prevents adapter slipping and distorting. Never use an angle wrench!

Agreed ,good professional advise ,,

that been said its still pretty easy to bray a socket over it and get it off if your in a hurry , ive done it successfully several times ( not that i go around stealing alloys !!!)
i just wrap the socket with lots of tape to stop it jumping and aligns it in square

But im still not recommending it , its your risk

There 40 different sockets and OPC's carry a master set.

OPC can test, remove and/or order replacement for circa £18.

Or use a reverse threaded wheel nut removal tool:

tss0300.jpg

Basically a hardened socket with a reverse cutting thread (it will probably damage the locking bolt during extraction though)

Beware: a new set of OPC locking bolts is £70+

thanks everyone,looks a trip to Wilmslow on saturday then,let my kids run riot round the showroom,lol

well looks like i am not going to opc in wilmslow,spoke to them eventually yesterday,they dont have any keys/sockets as in a master set there,they dont work saturdays,but if i take it down on monday they will have a look at it!!!!!!!!!! wtf,
hammer a socket on it is, :x :x

hooray,got it off with a socket,a hammer and a impact gun,now i just have to remove the other 3,lol

Would it not have been less expensive to buy a replacement socket than four new locking wheel nuts + you could damage your wheels bashing them .
Ive just paid £25 for a replacement as i lost mine , OPC had the full set available for my 1990 964, a rip off but when needs must !

kp964 said:
Would it not have been less expensive to buy a replacement socket than four new locking wheel nuts + you could damage your wheels bashing them .
Ive just paid £25 for a replacement as i lost mine , OPC had the full set available for my 1990 964, a rip off but when needs must !
Done this a thousand times.The hammer a socket idea is ok.However, the best way we have since found is to cut a notch in the edge of the nut, with a small angle grinder.You can then use a punch, to knock it undone.5 minute job.

sounds good,but how do you fit an angle grinder into the deep hole in a porsche rim??

never gonna happen,not with my 18" hollow spokes at least, :dont know: :dont know:

corsarob said:
sounds good,but how do you fit an angle grinder into the deep hole in a porsche rim??

never gonna happen,not with my 18" hollow spokes at least, :dont know: :dont know:
If you cant get a grinder in there, then use a high quality steel chisel.You only
need a tiny notch, to get a good purchase.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fluellen
Back