Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Locating previous owner - 997 C4S Atlas Grey Cat S

AL Patrick

Hi,

First-time poster long time reader,

So I'm the idiot who bought the 2006 C4S Cat S on eBay for those that saw it a few weeks ago. I did go and see it beforehand, get underneath take the wheels off etc. so knew what I was getting into (plus I ran a Chimarea for 9 years to fixing stuff and bills is what I'm used to) In some sort of defense it is a good spec - adaptive sports seats, heated seats, active mirrors, 17 spoke alloys, cruise, active exhaust with 70k.

It's now at 911SBD being straightened out, fixed, restored.

Of course, there was no document history with the car although the seller had access to the official Porsche database and on entering the VIN number was able to share its service history - all at Porsche dealership so reassuring and one reason I bought it.

This also tells me that the 2 previous owners looked after it properly and I'd like to find the last one and see if he has any of the service history. Any idea's how I could locate them? Maybe through the registration? Or VIN?

I'll share some updates on the fixes if anyone is interested - the guys 911SBD are taking photos.

Attachments

• ebay_image_1_105.jpeg
    ebay_image_1_105.jpeg
    487.1 KB · Views: 2,033
If Porsche have fixed it throughout its life, ask them if they can tell you which branch was used. They probably won't give you the details for data protection, but they may be willing to contact the previous owner on your behalf and see if they are willing to speak to you.

If not, knowing the branch will let you know roughly where the previous owner was based and you can ask the local PCGB region if anyone knows the past owner and get in tough that way.

The DVLA might give you previous keeper information if you file a V888 form with good reasons as to why you want to know.

Finally vcheck is a car history checker that includes salvage auction details so you may be able to see the state of the car post accident there if that's what you want to contact them for.

Long overdue but just to say thanks LeopoldStotch for the pointers - I've reached out to Porsche and waiting to hear back, will update when I hear from them - fingers crossed

The spec is really good, ultimately the reason I bought it...

Damage was all to the off side rear...
- Dented rear quarter, just above and in front of the wheel
- Wheel was toe'ing out by 15 degrees
- Chassis beam bent by about 7mm
- Control arms and lower arms were slightly bent from the impact
- Hab carrier damaged

So pretty clear the previous owner lost it on a corner presumably, spun and it the o/s rear caught a kurb / tree / something... no other damage across the car and the guy who bought it as salvage was able to get Porsche service records via the VIN (really don't know how he can do that) and it showed it had been well looked after throughout so I took the punt.

Key specs:
- S
- Electric / active seats
- Multi-spoke wheels (think they're called 'Porsche Design')
- Auto dim mirrors / rear view / auto wipe
- Heated seats
- Sport exhaust
- Factory short shift

If you call Porsche with the reg & VIN they should confirm where in the network it was serviced. New service book, and they'll normally stamp it up for you from their records. Obviously no invoices, but better than nothing.

AL Patrick said:
The spec is really good, ultimately the reason I bought it...

Damage was all to the off side rear...
- Dented rear quarter, just above and in front of the wheel
- Wheel was toe'ing out by 15 degrees
- Chassis beam bent by about 7mm
- Control arms and lower arms were slightly bent from the impact
- Hab carrier damaged

Well that is very minor damage which can be fixed with some fresh suspension components and a 4 wheel alignment.

I wonder if the cat S was because of the dent to the rear wing which i understand is considered structural damage whereas a panel beater would call it just another dent.

Sounds like you have secured a rather nice car, well done.

Lots of stuff since Covid was never physically inspected by engineers so was categorised as "S" with out any inspection, simply because that has become a default position. so lots of salvage out there will have this marker, keep detailed photos and record the repair, that will all help when in the future you come to sell it.

Well played that looks to have been a good buy, lots of people run a mile from salvage vehicles but I have owned many and never had a problem selling or owning them.
So get it fixed and enjoy it.

I ummed and aahed over this one - looked nice but I was nervous about how much suspension damage/chassis damage there was. Is it fairly simple to sort the bent chassis?

Depends on where the damage is.

The car is a monocoque with sub frames. If the suspension is damaged it is a simple repair job of replacing bent with new. Wings and bumpers are bolt on, and the plastic parts are inexpensive and easy to fit.

If something needs straightening and needs to be jigged then I would say that is bad news and maybe not the best place to start with Porsche ownership.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlb81
Back