Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Litronic vs Halogen - Much weight to be saved?

On my quest to add lightness I've been thinking about the headlights.

Would anyone happen to know the difference in weight between the Litronics and Halogen units.

On this topic if I was to remove the Litronic system completely are there any parts other than the self levelling sensor on the N/S lower arm that I can remove? I suppose the headlight washers and pipework could be lost too.

Hmm. If you plan to use the car in the dark then any extra speed achieved from weight savings will be negated by significantly worse vision!

Halogens with Philips Ultinon LED's on my C4S are at least as good as my factory litronics on my old 986.2 so no need to trade weight for vision. Worth buying decent LED's like Philips though, cheap ones don't maintain the beam cut off and tend to blind people.

Robertb said:
Hmm. If you plan to use the car in the dark then any extra speed achieved from weight savings will be negated by significantly worse vision!

Agreed the standard halogens are horrible. The standard litronics are better but with a retrofit lab upgrade they are really excellent and really improve useably. But they are definitely heavier - maybe the best option is to fit litronics and have a set of halogens on the shelf if you're going on track. Only for the truely obsessive!

Clearly not so much of an issue if the car is rarely used in the dark but mine is well used all year round which might not be the case for everyone.

I can't say I could feel a difference between the halogens and Litronics yesterday.
I would say maybe 4-500g at most.

I am just talking the headlight assembly, not the other stuff like wiring harness for self levelling, the harness for the xenon high beam assist etc.

That would maybe be another kilo for both sides?

You could take out all the self levelling and the high beam assist cable and control unit, and the actual motor in the assembly itself, so you are just left with a lightweight xenon headlight.
The self levelling on these works different to most cars in that it only raises the headlamp when braking, rather than lowering it if you load the rear up. So no danger of dazzling people if you remove it all.

gizlaroc said:
You could take out all the self levelling and the high beam assist cable and control unit, and the actual motor in the assembly itself, so you are just left with a lightweight xenon headlight.
The self levelling on these works different to most cars in that it only raises the headlamp when braking, rather than lowering it if you load the rear up. So no danger of dazzling people if you remove it all.

That's not a bad idea at all! Simplifying the whole assembly.

When I get some time I'll take a look inside the housing and see when work would need to be done.

It would offer the best of both worlds though, better headlights with less weight.

CrunkleFloop said:
gizlaroc said:

That's not a bad idea at all! Simplifying the whole assembly.

When I get some time I'll take a look inside the housing and see when work would need to be done.

It would offer the best of both worlds though, better headlights with less weight.

That's what I've done, I'm not fussed about the self levelling gubbins and it passes MOT without issue. And you can see where you're going at night!

Shalmaneser said:
That's what I've done, I'm not fussed about the self levelling gubbins and it passes MOT without issue. And you can see where you're going at night!

I don't suppose you had any pictures or a write-up on removing all the unnecessary gubbins from the Litronic units?

CrunkleFloop said:
Shalmaneser said:

I don't suppose you had any pictures or a write-up on removing all the unnecessary gubbins from the Litronic units?

I retrofitted litronics to my 'halogen' car without headlight washers so there wasn't any hardware to remove from the car side of things. The Litronics are plug and play and they work just fine in a halogen car.

The litronics I bought were I believe from a Boxster which I don't think have levelling so I just lucked out from that point of view.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul J
Back