Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Litronic angle changing for High beam assistance?

Ghianightmare

Montreal
Hi,

Someone posted on the Porsche club Ireland forum about their litronic dips recently refusing to raise to assist the high beam. They sorted it by reset - light switch in first then switch on ignition - and all worked again.

Mine don't raise that I can see. They just do the initial lower and raise when I turn them on to self test

I checked the wiring diagram and there is a function to raise with high beam. It's not mentioned in the owners manual though.

Has anyone got any experience with this or how to fix it? I have a durametric so I will see if that can test it but won't get to it until later in the week

It's not something I've noticed or was sure that it did, I get the usual self test up/down when I turn the lights on but other than that I wasn't sure they did anything else apart from self adjust with additional weight in the car.

Thanks! I don't think it's something that anyone would notice unless they were looking for it or notice if it was missing if they never knew about it - like me!

I have noticed it on the family Volvo in the past, but again, never considered that a 20-year-old 911 would/should do something similar.

I have asked the person on the Ireland forum to send me a video. He says it's quite noticeable especially if you are up against a wall.

Litronics only have the required EU required (I think) self adjust according to the cars laden weight i.e. not to dazzle oncoming road users . They don't have any other functionality as far as I'm aware. The issue being that as a 996 doesn't normally get so much weight onboard to affect it's ride height the whole thing is a rule complying exercise.

Mark

Thanks but you have missed the point - it is in the wiring diagram and someone has it working on their car. So it is a real thing

I just saw a video of this and they definitely do raise on high beam. Clearly a bit of trouble shooting to do. The fix that the other guy used doesn't work for me. His car is a 2004, but the 2001 wiring diagram shows it...

If someone else with Litronics could advise if it does this in their car, I'd appreciate it.

So I'm clear what I'm looking for... the dipped beams physically raise to a full beam position?

Just been out to check mine (and having stared at them now have spots in front of my eyes, so thanks for that! :lol: ) and I can hear a 'click' when switching between dipped and full, the xenon high beam pattern seems to go higher and I can see the full beam halogen bulb come on.

The click you hear is the high beam relay. It's easier to notice the dip beams drop when you switch off the high beams. But yes they physically raise slightly when you switch to high beam.

Ghianightmare said:
Thanks but you have missed the point - it is in the wiring diagram and someone has it working on their car. So it is a real thing
I'll check mine when I get chance, just to check my understanding.... the dipped beam HID/xenon bulbs move position to assist high beam functionality when main beam is selected?

Yes Mark - that is correct. If you have the car facing a wall or your garage doors and you are a few feet away from it, they will move about and inch upwards - which is the equivalent of a degree apparently. It is noticeable so you don't need to be straining your eyes to see it.

Ghianightmare said:
Yes Mark - that is correct. If you have the car facing a wall or your garage doors and you are a few feet away from it, they will move about and inch upwards - which is the equivalent of a degree apparently. It is noticeable so you don't need to be straining your eyes to see it.
You live and learn! I'll take a look at mine and let you know, it might be over the weekend :D

Ghianightmare said:

Do you mean the actual bulb projector should move by an inch, or the beam on the wall?

The beam on the wall. The projector will only move a tiny bit.

I waited for it to get dark and went out to try mine against a wall but the dipped beam doesn't move when I put the main beam on, I'm not sure I have ever noticed it moving in the whole time I've had the car. I'm already happy with the main beam at night so I don't feel I'm missing anything but I am curious if it should do it, why isn't it?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benlin1234
Back