Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Limited Slip Dif standard ?

Flying Clog

Well-known member
Joined
2 Aug 2013
Messages
71
Hi all

Was a limited slip differential standard on a 1997 Carrera 2 ?

Reading the option codes from the sticker I see it has options 220 and 224 - which are apparently a "locking differential 40%" and "automatic limited slip differential".

Were these options on the Carrera 2 ?
 
Flying Clog said:
Hi all

Was a limited slip differential standard on a 1997 Carrera 2 ?

Reading the option codes from the sticker I see it has options 220 and 224 - which are apparently a "locking differential 40%" and "automatic limited slip differential".

Were these options on the Carrera 2 ?

The LSD was not standard. Just checked the invoice copy for a MY'97 Coupé I had and it doesn't list 220 or 224.
 
+1

LSD was an optional extra. However they do tend to wear over time and become ineffectual.
 
Optional on all C2s, standard on all C4s.
 
standard on the turbo as well, i think???

Also, if they are worn out - short of hooning around on a track-day - how can one tell if the LSD is worn out?

GT One have never mentioned it, though nor indeed have I asked...

Perhaps if i prop up the back end and try to spin a wheel - easy means 'worn out' ???
 
Should have said standard on all the AWDs. (although when I wrote my reply I was waiting confidently for the "and on C4Ss too" comment first!)

But now we get in to drivelines, the next reply will push the original question into RS and GT2 territory, so as to add that it's standard on some 2WDs as well.

Just for completeness, the Ferrari 355 runs a standard LSD too! :puh:
 
At one time LSD was standard in many walks of life, letter alone Fezzas and Porsches :dont know:
 
I know, I just picked ONE as a joke - the satirical implication being that any SINGLE extra example represented the exhaustive list (... for completeness... :puh:)

There were/are dozens just within the Porsche marque!
 
not a car reference old chap - what do most people think LSD stands for?!
 
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds :dont know:

I made the very same pun only yesterday, when I was messaging Roro and 911UK.

In fact it was something of a continuation of a theme, given I proposed Roro's new "Strawberry Fields" post rank too!
 
.... And I've still no idea why / what that means!

To test an LSD there's a number of ways but depending on who you talk to, none of them is a 100% accurate method.

One method is park the car half on grass, half on concrete. Give it the beans and if the side in the grass just spins up then LSD is worn. You can also jack up the rear as mentioned and turn one wheel, but technically both wheels need to be under load for a diff to work. My favourite test (which haven't tried!) is one I think I saw NXI20 suggest, which involves an empty carpark and donuts - 2 equally black lines mean you're diff is working :grin:
 
GT4 said:
In fact it was something of a continuation of a theme, given I proposed Roro's new "Strawberry Fields" post rank too!

Which is great, but due to some mischief-making upstairs there's a few of us tarred with that brush.

:pc:

:)

(Leaving the 993 area now, they don't do it for me)
 
Roro said:
.... And I've still no idea why / what that means!

To test an LSD there's a number of ways but depending on who you talk to, none of them is a 100% accurate method.

One method is park the car half on grass, half on concrete. Give it the beans and if the side in the grass just spins up then LSD is worn. You can also jack up the rear as mentioned and turn one wheel, but technically both wheels need to be under load for a diff to work. My favourite test (which haven't tried!) is one I think I saw NXI20 suggest, which involves an empty carpark and donuts - 2 equally black lines mean you're diff is working :grin:

Obviously turn off any nannying, but PSM/TC/ABD equipped cars with LSDs will pass the above tests if the electronics are still on, even if LSD is shot.

That includes the 993, as ABD (M224) brakes the break-away wheel (below 70 kph).

Unlike the 996 onwards, there is no switch for this, so you will just have to pull the ABS fuse.
 
Thanks all for replies.

So if the LSD is worn I assume I can get it replaced "for a price".

If it is worn is there an option to removing it completely as presumably this is simply adding weight ?

I would also assume having purchased the car from an OPC with the 111 point check - if the diff was worn, it would have been replaced ?
 

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
124,043
Messages
1,436,638
Members
48,433
Latest member
benny-g
Back
Top