Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Leather cleaning

Silver234

Hi folks. What's everyone using to keep their leather clean and in good nick? Is there a one product approach rather than multiple bottles for clean/ condition etc etc?
Thanks in advance.

Silver234 said:
Hi folks. What's everyone using to keep their leather clean and in good nick? Is there a one product approach rather than multiple bottles for clean/ condition etc etc?
Thanks in advance.

AFAIK, the modern leather used in our vehicles doesn't actually need conditioning (feeding) - so a good cleaner and sealant is a better approach.

I've used the following Gtechniq products for some years now and find them to be excellent. Once cleaned and treated, it lasts about 6-8 months - so with a 3 season car, it's really once a year.

Tri-Clean AB
Tri-Clean is a dilutable interior cleaner that can safely be used on leather, cloth, carpets, trim and is the pre-cursor to treating with a sealant. Unless your seats are really dirty, a mix of 10:1 (10 parts distilled water to 1 part Tri-Clean), should suffice. Mix in a spray bottle and use with a couple of fresh microfibre cloths.

Tri-Clean has an antibacterial action, so it leaves the surface hygienically clean and works great on the places that hands touch most, like door handles, steering wheels etc

For more stubborn dirt/marks, you can gently agitate the surface with a brush OR increase the strength of your mix.

You can buy here but other retailers are available:
https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/gtechniq-i2-tri-clean

Leather Guard AB
Leather Guard is a surface sealant, which protects from stains (such as dye transfer from jeans etc) and resists abrasion.

It can easily be applied with a sponge applicator, or microfibre and you just wipe off any excess.

Also available here and elsewhere.
https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/gtechniq-l1-ab-anti-bacterial-leather-guard

Here's a pic of the leather on mine:

IMG-20200823-120239044-HDR.jpg

Note: I have no financial interest in the businesses mentioned, just positive personal experience of their products & service.

:agree:

Avoid creams on modern car leather, they leave a horrible shiny finish IMHO.

I have found great results with Colourlock products.

Uni11 said:
https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threads/best-thing-to-clean-leather.177729/

Have a read thru this thread. I have actually used this technique and it really does work.

You're right Uni, it does work but there are better things available now: Like you, I've used Pears soap in the past and back in the day would have used saddle soap and scrubbed with a nail brush to lift stubborn dirt but the problem is it tends to leave traces of soap OR you just end up getting the leather too wet, which isn't a problem on a saddle, or a sofa but isn't ideal for a car.

A proper cleaner (like Tri-Clean) or similar, is made for the job and better prepares the surface for the adhesion of a sealant - which will help protect the leather from dirt, stains and abrasion.

+1 for Pears soap from what I've read.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benlin1234
Back