Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Le Mans 2006

nic_

Banned
anyone going?

Decided this weekend that I fancied going, so booked the last place in the PCGB campsite this morning!

How excited am I?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56570

i might be going, but its always a last minute thing with me - are the porsche spyders racing?

Make sure you go to the Chinese restaurant trackside - food is ok to bad, but its a laugh eating dinner and shouting at everyone because its soo loud. Oh - and its about a million degrees in there.

You are every excited?

Anyone else going?

Mr Pearce - can we try to meet up again at said restaurant - missed you last year by minutes........

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56573

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Fuchs on 02 May 2006

i might be going, but its always a last minute thing with me - are the porsche spyders racing?
I can't see them on the entry list!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56577

So its just nicola and me then ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56838

Poor show.......

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56852

Hi,

I will be going as usual on the annual pilgrimage
with another GT3, we are camped in the Aire Accueil Tecnoparc arriving Friday afternoon

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56859

Hi Nicola,

Blimey! You were lucky getting the last campsite spot! Have you been before? I went for the first time last year - it was fanflippintastic! Though a bit hot at 40degC!

I think I stumbled across the PCGB campsite at Porsche Curves. If you havent been before - then let me tell you - you definately need ear plugs at that campsite!

I've been booked up since January,camping at Beausajour(Pardon the spelling!) - all done this time through Speedchills. Going down in a small convoy that will hopefully include my mate in what will be then a day old 997 C4S! (luck b*st*rd!)

The drive down is brilliant - with lots of "expensive hardware" on show. In places it's like the Gumball Rally(I'll never forget a black GT3 flying past me - only to be "pulled" by the Gendarmes 3miles later!

One of the best websites to get info from is
www.beermountain.com

also mappy.com gives info on speed cameras!

I can't wait!

Best wishes

Mike

996 C4S Cab

Migration info. Legacy thread was 58239

Mike

No I've not been before, have ear plugs, sun hat and sun cream, in that order, ready to go..... 8)
Really looking forward to it. not sure how all our gear will fir in a 964RS though :?

I checked out the beermountain site, some good info on there.

We are arranging a convoy from the Chunnel on "mad" Thursday. up to now there will be

2 89 Speedsters 1 Blinged up 996 Turbo 1 964RS 1 3.2 Supersport Cab 1 944 S2 1 Mini Cooper S JC Works One very quick executive Merc/BMW or similar 1 911 SC :twisted:

should be a laugh :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 58243

i'm not a camper so no le mans... just yet !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 58265

Hi Nicola,

Quite some selection of hardware in your convoy! Didnt realise the thursday before the race was referred to as "mad thursday"! If it's anything like "mad sunday" during the Isle of Man TT races....then.....just be careful!

As I said beermountain.com is a great website for info....all put together by "Lemons" enthusiasts. It is WELL worth spending a couple of hours trawling through the varios forums for some "top tips"!

My own "top tips" are:

Photocopy ALL vehicle Documentation(incl licence!)and bring it with you...coz IF the Gendarmes confiscate paperwork it can take 6mths to get it back from the French Consulate!

Place your passenger on your Insurance...incase you're VERY naughty &they confiscate your licence there and then!

Dont forget a spare car key.

Inflateable mattress...THE MOST IMPORTANT piece of equipment for sleep! - no more than £10, electric operated pump @£10, collapsable 20 litre water carrier £6(to wash/shower under),and finally toilet roll! - all avail from Tes*os S'market

Pack conservatively&carefully...even use the space around the spare wheel!

Torch,insect repellant,MORE than one set of ear plugs(they get lost!),sunglasses.

Slow the Merc/BMW down by using their extra space as "convoy supply" space!

Sorry if some of that list seemed all pretty obvious.....but hey...best forwarned.

One other tip....as you're approaching your campsite...keep your windows up around the drunk crowds lurking about....some of them like using water pistols/guns that are somtimes filled with beer....makes a mess of your pride and joy!

You'll absolutely LOVE the drive down!

We're on the thurs a.m ferry to Dover - our little convoy comprises of :

996 C4S Cab, 997 C4S Coupe BMW M3 Cab Scooby STi Golf Tdi Pug 205GTi 1.9

Enjoy Nicola.......but be warned ...you may become hooked!

Mike

Migration info. Legacy thread was 58279

Forgot to ask.....Anybody else out there driving down thursday and/or staying at

Beausejour Campsite?

Cheers.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 58283

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by nicola on 10 May 2006

Mike

No I've not been before, have ear plugs, sun hat and sun cream, in that order, ready to go..... 8)
Really looking forward to it. not sure how all our gear will fir in a 964RS though :?

I checked out the beermountain site, some good info on there.

We are arranging a convoy from the Chunnel on "mad" Thursday. up to now there will be

2 89 Speedsters 1 Blinged up 996 Turbo 1 964RS 1 3.2 Supersport Cab 1 944 S2 1 Mini Cooper S JC Works One very quick executive Merc/BMW or similar 1 911 SC :twisted:

should be a laugh :wink:

Take toilet paper...............

Migration info. Legacy thread was 58288

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 10 May 2006

i thought you were quite camp................. :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 58290

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 10 May 2006

I did a Max & Paddy last year and went in a hired motor home. It was billiant with our own fridge, shower & bog ....only way I would do it again !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 58307

Six of us going - P and O ferry Dover Calais at 10 am Thursday - my A3 Sportback and another car of some description.
Driving to Tours (great restaurants and bars in the old town) for Thursday and Friday nights (all day Friday at the circuit), then sleep in the car or non paid for tent at the circuit car park on Saturday night.
This will be my 18th visit! :)

My tips...
Drive on the right (easy to forget when knackered)
Dont drink and drive unless you like prison.
Get a passout when you leave the circuit - so you can get back in!
Big brim hat (not a baseball cap) and sunblock a must - 40c all day for days - under clear blue skies (you can spot the English - they are like lobsters).
Buy bottled water from supermarkets enroute and drink lots.
Pit lane walkabout was free last year on the Friday afternoon.
Dont take a radar detector - French plod will confiscate and fine you.
French plod love to catch German cars in radar traps and on the pay autoroutes based on time for distance from the ticket. The route from/to Calais is their favourite shooting gallery.
Take a mini radio for Radio LeMans 91.2 fm so you will know whats going on.
Take wet gear - it has been known to be very very wet!
The Display/shops Village has been rebuilt this year - lets hope theres a lot less dust.
Check out the ACO home website for the race
http://www.lemans.org/accueil/index.html
and
http://www.autosport.com/
and
http://journal.autosport-atlas.com/2005/lemans/radio.html

Migration info. Legacy thread was 58327

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member