Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

KW vs OEM Porsche suspension

Pip1968

Barcelona
Pretty much as per the title. Are either more or less suited to the Porsche 996 GT3. Particularly when related to tracks days. I am thinking of buying a full KW3 set up but if the difference is negligable then I may just give it a miss and spend it 'on driver training' :D .

I know Sabine Schmidt advertises for them although I assume she uses a special set for her Porsche driving and I do not know whether it is heart felt or just for the money :?: (or both).

So not wanting to get sucked in do many here go for aftermarket set ups or is it OEM all the way.

Pip

Check out the new offering from Ohlins. Getting excellent reviews and cheaper than KW. This what I'll be going for at some point.

For mainly track work, the spring rates on the standard suspension are too low. Because they are not adjustable, you inevitably need to go to adjustable dampers. Also, the damper rods are somewhat spindly & tend to flex on track which leads to premature top seal failure. I trashed my standard damper seals twice within 35K miles before I went Moton which have racked up over 50K miles without a problem.

KW v3's are "ok" dampers but they can certainly be bettered for the money. As Stuart says, the Ohlins entry-level mono-tube dampers are a strong rival. Getting the spring rates right is the key though. IMHO, the KW rates don't work very well on UK tracks as they are too soft in the rear & too hard in the front.

Interesting NXI20. To be honest I have never done any UK track days. I jumped straight into the deep end at the Nordschleife and have been over there two to three times a year every year since 2008. So does the same thing apply to the KW3 for the Nordschleife?

Where do the other set ups sit in order of suitability - Ohlins, KW, Blistein, Moton, H&R for track in general and Nordschleife in particular???

Perhaps I will just have to save up some more money and open my choices up a little. Bang goes the Deepsea :)

So is it only NXI20 that has gone aftermarket :dont know:

Pip

Personally I've found the OEM set up in my 996 GT3 just fine on track, I don't think I'd change a thing about it. Well they are at my modest pace anyway :grin:

I guess it depends how serious you are about going as fast as you possibly can or if your just enjoying your car for what it is. I've spent a small fortune modding cars over the years but have resisted with the GT3 as it's more than good enough for my tallents out the box so saving the money to spend on driving it more :mrgreen:

The 'ring is a place that demands a setup all of its own. My spring rates were far too stiff when I first fitted the Motons. Since then I've reduced the spring rates at both ends so that it's more of a compromise on billiard table smooth tracks like Silverstone or Spa, but it's better at the 'ring. The standard suspension is actually really well suited to the 'ring where you need compliance to soak up the bumps. My car tends to feel a bit floaty in some places (down into the foxhole & through Wipperman particularly).

Broadly speaking, the more you pay the more sophisticated the dampers. I wouldn't bother with more than 2-way adjustable personally. I've lost count of the number of people I've encountered on trackdays who have adjustable suspension & say they never touch it! I have a list of tracks & suspension settings that I have worked out over the years.

Ease of setting the dampers is key to usability. The KW system is a PIA compared to more modern systems from Bilstien, Ohlins & the incomparable remote canister Motons (I may be a bit biased though). Beyond Moton is JRZ, which is lovely stuff but at £10K probably a bit rich for a road car.

Cunno is running Motons on his 997.1 GT3

I do not have a problem with the OEM set up either. I like the way the nose bounces around a little. I came from a BMW 'M' background so it was quite a change. Moreover it gives an attractive sense of danger, a bit of a wild beast that needs to be kept in hand and keeps the mind focussed. I suppose it is the want to see what a difference an aftermarket set up will give.

I too am no racing driver so it may well be money wasted but I cannot help thinking that I should be improving the 'unimprovable'.

Pip

Anyone who's passengered in my car will tell you that it feels nothing like a standard GT3; it's more like a Cup car with an interior & aircon. :D

I'm no driving god either, but after ~50 trackdays the standard suspension was worn out & I was faced with spending a fair bit of cash to bring it back to standard or spending roughly double to make it fit for purpose (lots of trackdays - it's done 138 trackdays & 87K miles in the last 6 years).

As I intend to keep the car forever, I consider it sensible to upgrade standard components that cannot take the pounding on track as ultimately it works out cheaper & there is less downtime due to failures. It's a side bonus that I can run slicks without any problems too. By way of illustration, I've had to replace 1 rose joint (out of 12) since I converted to rose jointed suspension in 2010. I just replaced the inner monoballs on the RSS coffin arms and the old ones were actually fine.

I have the KW V3's on mine, but can't give you any comparisons to the stock setup as they were on when I bought it. What I can say is that I like the ride on the Ring, road use is absolutely fine and they appear to be wearing well. The rears recently got sent back to Germany for overhaul at £150 per side, but that's not bad for 70k miles I think.

maximtaylor said:
I have the KW V3's on mine, but can't give you any comparisons to the stock setup as they were on when I bought it. What I can say is that I like the ride on the Ring, road use is absolutely fine and they appear to be wearing well. The rears recently got sent back to Germany for overhaul at £150 per side, but that's not bad for 70k miles I think.

Yes 70,000 is not bad. Does that mean that you do not adjust them for different tracks or track and road. Did you just get the overhaul as a matter of course or just because of the mileage/other matters-problems.

I take it that you no longer have the OEM dampers.

Pip

I still have the original dampers in a box from the original owner.

I'm lazy so I just leave the dampers on Nurburgring settings all the time! As has been said they're fiddly to adjust.

JZM spotted one of the rear dampers leaking in the last service hence the rear overhaul.

I have the Manthey KWv3 on mine set up by JZM. For me with the KW's fitted the car came to life, better on all types of roads both high speed and the slower stuff. The only downside is you do lose some low speed compliance. For instance near my house is a particularly bumpy road and driving slow along that road on my way home is not great. But otherwise I'm very happy.

Pip1968 said:
Interesting NXI20. To be honest I have never done any UK track days. I jumped straight into the deep end at the Nordschleife and have been over there two to three times a year every year since 2008. So does the same thing apply to the KW3 for the Nordschleife?

Had KW v3 on my ex 996.2 GT3 for years and it worked a treat at the Nurbrurging, a perfect balance.

Whereas on UK tracks it just wasn't good enough, as NXI20 states, they're good but there are better.

If you live with the softer / bumpy Ring set up they work a treat.

Anyone who's passengered in my car will tell you that it feels nothing like a standard GT3; it's more like a Cup car with an interior & aircon.

Nope, under load, your car has zip in the way of air conditioning....last time
I was in it I rustled up a bacon and cheese toastie...lol

...must have been nigh on a ton in there...lol :grin:

Sorry Nick, you have lost me a little. It must be the thought of a bacon sandwich :roll: . Are you running with an aftermarket set up then (what?) or OEM.

Pip

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fluellen
Back