Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Keeping things original - your views?

Kimbo

Paul Ricard
(Actually, I know most of your views, you OCD Freaks :D ).

Someone came up to me in the Car Park of a car show the other day and told me my wheels could do with a refurb.

I thanked him for pointing that out, but said I was quite happy keeping things original.

He then walked round the car and pointed out the slightly faded rear indicators and red reflector.

(This wasn't a concours judge by the way, just a member of the public).

He also said my saggy driver's seat could do with a refurb, my stoneguards had faded, and told me where I could get new headlight glass if I so wished. After many miles in the saddle, my driver's seat is carefully moulded to the shape of my arse and is truly comfortable.

I thanked him again, then told him to piss off.

I know all owners are different and that there is no Right or Wrong.

But I personally like to keep my car as original as possible, warts and all.

Most of the oily bits however are all upgraded, regularly maintained and in 100% perfect mechanical condition.

I'd only replace cosmetic stuff if it was rusty, badly damaged or falling off.

Each to their own and I like nothing better than seeing an immaculately presented 993 like many of you own on here, just not mine.

Kimbo said:
I thanked him again, then told him to piss off.

:floor: :hand: How dare you berate a fellow motoring enthusiast Kim!

I didnt take it personally by the way! :floor:

I'm in favour of doing as you please with your car, regardless of future owners' possible preferences. That could include (hopefully) tasteful mods, or as in your beastie wearing a faded reflector with pride, knowing that the mechanicals are sound.

It is permissible to beat to death with his own shoes anyone proffering unwanted vehicular criticism/advice. I'm pretty sure that a viable defence in law exists for just such a contingency.

blindspot said:
It is permissible to beat to death with his own shoes anyone proffering unwanted vehicular criticism/advice.

Comedy Gold :floor:

Personally, I would (or did) refurb/change all of those.

Don't tell me, you have the original 1990's oil in there still, for reasons of nostalgia too?

I have always loved the modded look but seem to be going the other way for some reason... getting older :dont know:

Recently bought some RS style Veloce wheels with black centres.... now wished I had bought silver.

In the same vein I seem to be returning the car back to OEM looking slowly. Got rid of the horrid darkened indicators, going to go to more OEM looking exhaust tips and even questioning having no RS bits for a sleeper look.

I saw a pic of a silver 993 on ebay, looking very standard with no splitters and no rear wing just a lower car and it looks so good!

Getting old of Surrey....

I'm all for mods that you can bolt on and bolt off. Great fun. We should all do it.

But for example, I wouldn't get my original wheels refurbed because personally, I like to see the battle scars.

But I understand those who do.

An old 356 Coupe in original faded silver paint, slightly rusted wheels, cracked red leather interior but mechanically A1... :thumb:

Kimbo said:
But I personally like to keep my car as original as possible, warts and all.

Ummmmm... The World-famous Ninja-Hollamby Mod???

:grin:

I'm all for tasteful mods, but for some reason I have everything I've take off the car so that if I wanted to I could go back to factory (minus the Bilsteins)

God I hope I never decide to do that though would be a complete pain the the a55... but for some reason I can't let go.. even my old Cat which sits in the garage....

I do respect people keeping their cars completely original though as is't nice to see how it looked when it left the factory. Also reminds me why I did my mods and why I like them.

As mine is purely a hobby car part of that is tinkering. I always try to either fit original parts or what I consider upgrades due to new technology etc... But I always make sure there is a route back to OEM and retain the original parts.

That's why I love cars from the 90s ie enough technology to be reliable / safe and yet not too much that you can't tinker.

I have personal things I like and don't like but respect the fact that everyone should personalise a car to meet their tastes / needs. If every 993 was as it left the production line things would not be as interesting.

cambjones said:

I've still got the original boxes which are now on the car...and I must be getting old too, TwinT of Surrey.

All the original suspension though, I threw away.

When my car was up for sale a while ago, a guy came down and made a little list of things that he thought needed replacing. The rear reflector, wheel refurb, new wheel centres, driver's seat bolster, gear knob worn, scratch on rear P/U...etc etc.

It added up to quite a bit, but he walked away after we couldn't come to a fair agreement.

In my view, the car was in perfectably presentable condition and the worn bits reflected the fact that it was 16 years old and an honest car that hadn't been refurbed cosmetically.

You know when someone posts up they may be forced to sell? then people inevitably tell them not to sell? Once they have pursueded him to keep it do those people all have a whip round and chip in for the the guys next big bill?

Nah!

And the people who say 'Do this' and 'Don't do this' to some guys car? Has he offered it to them for sale? no. If he did would they buy it? no. Has it actually got anything to do with them whatsoever? no.

Sometimes it would be great if you could grab the whole world by the lapels and shout 'F**K OFF!!!' in it's face.

In fact I honestly believe being able to actually do that would be as liberating as making yourself come without touching - ask Sting.
:thumbs:

Kimbo said:
When my car was up for sale a while ago, a guy came down and made a little list of things that he thought needed replacing. The rear reflector, wheel refurb, new wheel centres, driver's seat bolster, gear knob worn, scratch on rear P/U...etc etc.

It added up to quite a bit, but he walked away after we couldn't come to a fair agreement.

In my view, the car was in perfectably presentable condition and the worn bits reflected the fact that it was 16 years old and an honest car that hadn't been refurbed cosmetically.

Sounds a complete shed. No wonder you didn't sell it :nooo: if you kept those furry dice as a decoy you may have stood a chance :thumb:

clarkycat said:
And the people who say 'Do this' and 'Don't do this' to some guys car? Has he offered it to them for sale? no. If he did would they buy it? no. Has it actually got anything to do with them whatsoever? no.

Sometimes it would be great if you could grab the whole world by the lapels and shout 'F**K OFF!!!' in it's face.

1000%

My wife lectures me about blood pressure etc, so I try to hold back. But I'm there in spirit with you, my boy.

Kimbo said:
cambjones said:

I've still got the original boxes which are now on the car...and I must be getting old too

Did I read that right :eek: The Hollamby car is no longer sporting the Hollamby mod... :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
user983234
Back