Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jump start - quick advice please!

Motorhead

Trainee
I wonder if any of you can enlighten me in my ignorance. Is it a good idea to jump start from my porsche?

I have a 993 targa, good condition, starts well every time (so far). I also have a 1999 T reg BMW 3.28i convertible in generally good condition (which is for sale if anyone is interested). However, since I got my porsche about 2 months ago, my poor beemer has just sat outside my house without being used at all. Now it wont start ('clicks' rather than turning over) and I am assuming it is low battery.

Can I jump start it from my porsche? Should the engine be running or not? any other tips/caveats?

thanks very much for any advice......

p.s how do i change my name and detaisl on the left??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66723

i jump started my other car from my 993 a few weeks ago.(had same situation as you).. i had no probs (dont know if it is recommended..but worked ok).. you should connect your jump leads (neg/black first) then once connected start your porsche and give a few light revs..then turn over your bmw.. should be no problem as long as your porsche battery is in good order...

On my '97 993 i have a charge level indicator on my battery.. Red low.. Green high ..you may want to see if there is one on yours...

good luck

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66730

If you do, make sure the Porsche is not running. As you can get a surge back to the Porsche and Blow something..

Dan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66731

thanks for your prompt replies.

just to clarify:

roja: - it is reassuring to hear you have done it with no adverse effects; though i am confused about the polarities - thought i had read (maybe in the manual tho i dint have it here now) that should conncet + to + first. Now have no idea!

dan: had heard that i could damage the bmw's 'sensitive electics' if started from a running car; did not know it could work the other way round. its a mine field.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66737

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Daniel Sait on 14 July 2006

If you do, make sure the Porsche is not running. As you can get a surge back to the Porsche and Blow something..

Dan
Well, thats me told. I have always jump started from a running car, I find that often just a battery is not enough so I give the running car some revs to kick some extra charge in there. Never found any problems.

Live and learn

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66739

have just looked at porsche manual and you are right..doh(lucky nothing happened when i did it neg first).. manual reads..

first connect +lead to + terminal of feed battery then to +terminal of flat battery ... then connect - lead to - terminal of flat battery then connect the other end to a suitable earthing point on the body of the car with the feed battery. This earthing point must be as far as possible from battery... ( new to me)??

Start the engine of the vehicle with the supplying current (porsche) Run engine with higher RPM.

Start the engine of car with flat battery (bm) ..Do not crank the engine for more than 15 secs.. wait at least a minute before repeating the attempt.

With the engine running disconnect the cables in reverse order.

We learn something new every day...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66741

I have always connected both leads to both batteries before .. but manual says to connect - (neg) lead to body away from battery...Anyone else done this??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66742

The alternative is to get your other half to give you a push and bump start it :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66755

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by roja on 14 July 2006

I have always connected both leads to both batteries before .. but manual says to connect - (neg) lead to body away from battery...Anyone else done this??
i followed the manual and put the neg lead on the catch on the luggage compartment cover.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66757

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by roja on 14 July 2006

have just looked at porsche manual and you are right..doh(lucky nothing happened when i did it neg first).. manual reads..

first connect +lead to + terminal of feed battery then to +terminal of flat battery ... then connect - lead to - terminal of flat battery then connect the other end to a suitable earthing point on the body of the car with the feed battery. This earthing point must be as far as possible from battery... ( new to me)??

Start the engine of the vehicle with the supplying current (porsche) Run engine with higher RPM.

Start the engine of car with flat battery (bm) ..Do not crank the engine for more than 15 secs.. wait at least a minute before repeating the attempt.

With the engine running disconnect the cables in reverse order.

We learn something new every day...
So if it has to be as far away from the battery as possible then the normal jump leads that are sold as as much use as T**s on a fish.

And we are confirming that the supplying car must be running...at least I have been doing that right.

However if the AA/RAC man comes out..why does he always put both leads straight on the battery......Wonder if Porsche sell an extra long set of leads......Hmmmm!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66763

so i did everything by the book and........nothing happened except the BMW alarm went off every time i turned the key. Perhaps more than a flat battery.

thanks for the advice tho

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66880

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NBavers
Back