Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Interesting V box install

I have a VBox Lite but made the mistake of not buying the OLED display with it. The clip-on thingy for tapping into the CAN bus is absurdly expensive.

Are you more interested in recording video and just playing back against track position or in detailled analysis with sensor data? I have various CAN configuration files for 996.2 onwards Porsches. I get rpm, throttle position, steering position, water temperature and all four wheel speeds from my car via CAN. TBH I generally use vector acceleration and timeslip measurements to see where I can make most improvements. A lot of you guys spend massively more time on track than me though so might well make better use of other sensors.

MC

I'd love to get RPM and throttle position from my 2004 986 but I've still not had the balls to tap into the loom. I understand its can be done either behind the dash or into the cables that run into the ECU in the boot.

Indeed. I did mine near the ECU, no wires were cut, just strip off a short length of insulation, twist and solder on new wire, then insulate again. I bring the wire out to a small connector which sits hidden behind the seat back when not in use.

I also use OBDII but that is much slower, not good for RPM. I get fast and slow lambda trim values from there just to look for any potential issues on fuelling.

MC

Having seen the Bluetooth interfaces you can buy on eBay for next to nothing, I spoke to Racelogic to see if I could get anything suitable from the OBDII but as you say, its too slow to be of much use in a race environment.

In the install in the link the guy doesn't cut into the wires or strip them back as far as I can see. The device used is a pick up and just clamps over the wire. A "clip on interface".

Senoj said:
In the install in the link the guy doesn't cut into the wires or strip them back as far as I can see. The device used is a pick up and just clamps over the wire. A "clip on interface".

Yes there is a company who produce a clip-on unit, you still need to open the loom to get at the individual wires, but you don't need to strip insulation and physically join to the wires. I'm not sure of the cost implications, never used one myself, we always join directly to the CAN bus.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7CUU
Back