Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Insurance, Ouch

mikelb04

Sorry really boring I know but what sort of figure is everybody paying
I am thinking of adding a 991.2 to the fleet and got some quotes
996 gt3 agreed value 3000miles /year track days included £360 Happy days
991.2 gt3 agreed value 2000 miles per year track days included in a garage with a tracker etc £1450.00 both with Classic Line
I know I have been spoilt with the running costs of the 996 but that's 4 times the cost for Insurance is that really the going rate?
I thought I could add it to a multi car policy I have with LV just for the road
GR Yaris no problem £180.00 Bargain
Porsche GT3 no won't even cover it
Who is everybody using and what are you paying or is this just what I have to pay to drive a modern Porsche

I pay less than £300 for a GT4 through a comparison site and that's only with 2yr NCB on that policy (Full NCB on my main one). I'd suggest classic line is not the right insurer other than for 'classic' motors.

Run a comparison site and see what you get back as that will be a general benchmark.

That sounds a really good deal but does it include any track days
my other problem is I have zero no claims bonus it is used on the other cars most companies seem to do a deal and mirror the discount but it is useful to have
I use Mannings for some of our other cars but they have a major problem with track day cover now as they had several write offs recently and they quoted about the same and track day Insurance was an add on

CL not that good on the more modern stuff these days. So probably not enough victims in the pool to make the maths work for them.

I know folks who've had very reasonable prices on quite spendy modern pork with the likes of Admiral. Sub 600 quid for 992 turbo S for example...Go figure. My GRY is with Admiral and was on a CL policy until the renewal came up and was ridiculous.

ManningUK used to be a decent option but have effectively removed themselves from the market.

Quite a few later model GT3's about so probably a decent amount of risk experience for the underwriters to analyse. I suspect average claims costs are quite high too so I'm not surprised at £1450 ish.

Hope you keep the 996 too :thumb:

Admiral (multicar drops your premium by about 10-15% per extra car) is by far the cheapest if you can put up with their awful customer service.. £600 on my STO.

Or STO, and 992C4 and BMW135i = £900.

Had same problem. After 2 years with LV, they declined to insure my GT3 any longer. Up to that point, had been costing me about £500 per annum.
Now with Admiral, and £1150 combined, with £700 on GT3 and £450 on GTS.

Looks like the main problem is the track day cover
It seems like track day cover as an add on may be the way to go but that has always been an expensive option in the past
Hi Senoj the 996 is staying but the wife is threatening a one in one out rule so careful negotiation may be required
Famously said on a previous occasion you might be able to afford the car but can you afford the divorce afterwards!!

Morning all,

A friend of mine told me that Insurance companies are no longer offering discounts for new policies, so they are all basically charging the same 'renewal' prices which is why they seem to have all gone up.....

I was paying £500 for my 991.1 6K miles with 6 points and all the comparison sites were £800+. I found Direct Line to be the cheapest @£650 BUT with no trackday cover...

Depending on how much you track, you might be better just taking out day Insurance for the track????

Cheers,
Lig.

Lig said:
A friend of mine told me that Insurance companies are no longer offering discounts for new policies, so they are all basically charging the same 'renewal' prices which is why they seem to have all gone up.....

By law they can't offer discounts to new customers any more.

The upside, for me, was that my combined Insurance renewal for 3 cars (2 policies) was £160 less than last year.

T8 said:

Ah that explains it then. Lucky you are paying less this year, seems a rareity!!

Cheers,
Lig.

Renewed last week with CL, includes 5 UK trackdays per year, EU days 275 a shot from memory. Premium 500ish, same as last year. I've also insured my daily with them as they were cheapest (that's as 2x standalone policies, they don't do multicar)

Hi Roro
I assume that's a 997
CL insure my 996 with track days no problem but it's the 4 x jump in price to insure a 991 I can't work out
I have agreed value of £85000 on the 996 so the value of the car is more than 50% of a 991but the premium is 4x as much

Yes 997 GT3. Dunno. I'm sure there's lots of factors the underwriters take into account, i don't see it as being as simple as a car that's worth 50% more will have a premium that is only up to 50% more. Are all factors exactly the same on both cars - usage, mileage, excess, storage, etc? They probably add extra weighting on the premium for it being a newer car, more powerful / complex / expensive to fix when anything goes wrong

Hi Roro that's the bit I don't get annual mileage is less on 991 quote and even includes a tracker
Both quotes are garaged with everything else the same
I have got a slightly cheaper quote from Footman James today but I would really like someone with a 991 to give me some idea what they are paying and if they have cheaper deals from other companies or multi car policies
I think track days will be the really sticky bit as it sounds like there have been too many expensive accidents recently but it doesn't seem to put the older cars Insurance up so much

T8 said:
Lig said:

The upside, for me, was that my combined Insurance renewal for 3 cars (2 policies) was £160 less than last year.

Another piece of wonderful consumer friendly legislation designed to help the less well off...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NigelM
Back