Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Inserted SIM card not recognised PCM 2.2

GT3GT3

Spa-Francorchamps
Joined
17 Jan 2012
Messages
259
Getting used to my new CR now but came up against a problem that I couldn't fathom and the manual doesn't help either.

I have PCM 2.2 according to the screen and I have a SIM card slot top right of the facia. It also has Bluetooth. Here is the problem :

Sync`s with iPhone via bluetooth no problems. When my spare SIM is installed the correct way nothing happens. Turn Bluetooth off and install SIM - nothing happens. When Bluetooth is switched off all it keeps asking for is to turn it back on. Switch off and reboot makes no difference ..... ?

I presume it should work with an inserted SIM otherwise the slot would not be there ... ?

Any ideas
 
Not familiar with PCM 2.2....? Is your car a 987.1? Ideally it ought to be a PCM 2.1 and there was no factory-fitted bluetooth device available for this model (perhaps an after-market fitted device?). With regards to the SIM, the PCM will only work with a 2G card, not a 3G one. Also, I have heard that only certain carriers work with the PCM but I am unsure of this.

~ Maxie
 
Car is a 2011 CR and the version shows as 2.2 when the screen is interrogated. Definitely no aftermarket bluetooth going on , all std fitment stuff. BT sees both my phones no bother ( nokia and iPhone ) but fails to see the hardwired SIM once inserted. I dont think I have a 2G card to try.
 
Ok, this makes a bit more sense. You have a 987.2; your system is PCM3.0 which comes standard with Bluetooth. I think you may have firmware v2.2 installed on your system (speak with your local OPC if this is the latest version). Try and get hold of a 2G card. If you don't have one, I can post a spare one out to you on the O2 network (just PM me your details).

The latest firmware update will include the 7-digit post code entry for the sat-nav.

~ Maxie
 
Maxie said:
Ok, this makes a bit more sense. You have a 987.2; your system is PCM3.0 which comes standard with Bluetooth. I think you may have firmware v2.2 installed on your system (speak with your local OPC if this is the latest version). Try and get hold of a 2G card. If you don't have one, I can post a spare one out to you on the O2 network (just PM me your details).

The latest firmware update will include the 7-digit post code entry for the sat-nav.

~ Maxie

Cheers mate , that also makes sense. I`ll have a poke about upstairs to see if I have an old 2G card and if not I`ll PM you. I will also be emailing the OPC to check firmware so that they can bring it up to date as I do not have 7 digit postcode. Touch screen but not 7 digits

Top man cheers.... :thumb:
 
To conclude this thread - it appears my car has "mobile phone preparation" and not "phone module" which is a bit confusing and not made clear by the OPC.
Anyway, despite the car having the sim slot , it would follow that this does not connect to anything. Not the end of the world as I only intended to use it as a spare and am more than happy with the excellent connection via bluetooth with my iPhone. Having come from my 997 which had the phone module and little tray to insert the card I assumed the new car would be the same. Clearly not :nooo:

I shall wear my dunces cap for the rest of the night !
 
Could someone explain (in plain english) what the difference is between mobile phone preparation and phone module please.
Thanks.
 
threespins said:
Could someone explain (in plain english) what the difference is between mobile phone preparation and phone module please.
Thanks.

Passing on what the OPC told me ...

Mobile phone prep - connects to your phone via bluetooth and uses your phone aerial and associated sim

Phone module - uses the "inserted into the dash sim" and uses car aerial , power and phonebook etc. i.e. a phone built into the PCM itself just needing a sim

I cant imagine many nowadays actually take the sim out of their iPhone , smart phone and place in the tray located on the dash. Its a bit old hat but nice to have as a spare for emergencies but would not spec it on a new car build.
 
GT3GT3 said:
threespins said:
Could someone explain (in plain english) what the difference is between mobile phone preparation and phone module please.
Thanks.

Passing on what the OPC told me ...

Mobile phone prep - connects to your phone via bluetooth and uses your phone aerial and associated sim

Phone module - uses the "inserted into the dash sim" and uses car aerial , power and phonebook etc. i.e. a phone built into the PCM itself just needing a sim

I cant imagine many nowadays actually take the sim out of their iPhone , smart phone and place in the tray located on the dash. Its a bit old hat but nice to have as a spare for emergencies but would not spec it on a new car build.

Some service providers (may not be one in the UK at present though) have a Twin Card tariff which gives you 2 sims with the same number which can both be active at the same time. (But you can only make or take one call at a time).
I had one card in my mobile and one permanently in the PCM.
 
GT3GT3 said:
I cant imagine many nowadays actually take the sim out of their iPhone , smart phone and place in the tray located on the dash. Its a bit old hat but nice to have as a spare for emergencies but would not spec it on a new car build.

I used it once as my phone battery was running flat and I didn't have a in-car charger. The interface works well and you can receive (and send :cop:) text messages directly via the PCM screen :thumb:
 
chimp911 said:
GT3GT3 said:
I cant imagine many nowadays actually take the sim out of their iPhone , smart phone and place in the tray located on the dash. Its a bit old hat but nice to have as a spare for emergencies but would not spec it on a new car build.

I used it once as my phone battery was running flat and I didn't have a in-car charger. The interface works well and you can receive (and send :cop:) text messages directly via the PCM screen :thumb:

I agree. I had it on my 997 GT3 and it was great but the downside was no bluetooth , so in effect I ran 2 phones when in the car, normal one and the extra PCM one. I assumed the new car would be the same but you know what an assumption is .........
 
Thanks, just what I thought but good to be sure when choosing my car later this year.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
124,331
Messages
1,444,238
Members
49,460
Latest member
JJWal
Back
Top