Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

IMS

leekeene

Hello. new here and been looking around for a while now. i WAS thinking of getting a 996 c2 or c4s but now im seeing the horror stories of IMS.

am i correct in thinking IMS doesnt affect the Turbo range only? or are there other that are ok?

cheers

lee

turbo, and the GT range are immune I believe.

leekeene said:
or are there other that are ok?

Yes, all the other 10s of thousands of cars that are not effect.

I read best guess was less than 5-10% with issues, leaving you well over 150,000 cars to choose from world wide. :)

The IMS can still be replaced for peace of mind. (mine gets done next week)

cheers for the comments guys.

guess im now looking for a C4s with the IMS kit on it. :S think a porsche might realistically be out of my price range, i can afford to buy one but not a 4k rebuild if needed.

:(

"A £4k rebuild if needed"?? From what I've read, if you are 'struck' by the issue, it might be a bit more than that.

Maybe look at slightly earlier cars and keep a fund in reserve? The advice is always buy on condition/history rather than mileage/age. Maybe that would give you some peace of mind, knowing you have a few quid set aside for any potential problem? If you don't have any problem, then put it towards the next car when you change it/upgrade :)

stuckmojo said:
The IMS can still be replaced for peace of mind. (mine gets done next week)

is this the Autofarm kit for £1650 including clutch?

if so i just seen it and if i cna use that the barter the price down and get it straight in peace of mind job done kinda thing.

been speaking to Lee on here and there doesnt seem to be much between the c2 and c4s other than the wide body and 4wd. so maybe i should put a c2 top of my list and get the Autofarm kit done. will have money left over instead of buying a c4s

lee

Yes, well no disrespect to the (after the fact) alert.

If it were a house, I would first close the windows before investing in a burglar alarm.

leekeene said:
if so i just seen it and if i cna use that the barter the price down and get it straight in peace of mind job done kinda thing.

been speaking to Lee on here and there doesnt seem to be much between the c2 and c4s other than the wide body and 4wd. so maybe i should put a c2 top of my list and get the Autofarm kit done. will have money left over instead of buying a c4s

You can normally get a C2 or C4 (if you prefer 4wd) for 10-15% less than an equivalent C4S.

Regarding any haggling to get the price down to fund an IMS bearing replacement ........ I wouldn't bank on it.

A discussion re preventative measures was done here:

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=72561&highlight=ims

GT4 said:

If it were a house, I would first close the windows before investing in a burglar alarm.

:grin: :thumbs:

GT4 said:

Yes - An IMS Guardian will alert you after the fact, but before the explosion, meaning it will save a huge amount on the rebuild.

I don't believe the LN bearing can be considered a forever cure. Their web site says it should be treated as a maintenance item, and replaced at intervals. So you could be building in a time bomb to something that was perfectly OK in the first place.

Well, according to some, the standard bearing without seal is pretty much ok. That won't cost 1600£ and will be lubricated by engine oil, which, if frequently changed, should keep it clean

cheers for the comments. Richard are you saying that the Autofarm kit could potentially be a waste of time and money??

from what i read on here i thought it was the ultimate fix job done kinda thing but your comment seems to suggest otherwise.

would be keen to read your views on this and this sump magnet. if its a peace of mind stuff i can factor in the 2K extra to get this done when im pricing it all up

going to pop out today and look at one but with no intention of buying. im 6ft 5 with a busted knee so my size my rule a porsche out from the start anyway.

now whats local to Norfolk :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanaah
Back