Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ignition procedure

Paulb33

Monza
(Dumb newbie Q incoming)

What am I missing with the ignition sequence?

After disabling the PA1000 alarm with one press of the indented fob button, I insert the key into the ignition and turn to the right one click. A bank of lights come on. A further turn and invariably nothing: no sound, just the key travelling fully to the right stop. Damn. There follows a series of embarrassed seat shifts, gear stick wiggles, coughs and further key turns (light on, lights off) until eventually the engine fires. The number of cycles is correlated to the number of onlookers. What happens to trigger fire up remains a mystery.

What am I missing?

🫣

Duplicate

Mine has an Autowatch (I think ) system.

Once I disarm with the blipper thing the flashing red light on the centre console extinguishes and I have 20secs to start the car otherwise it automatically rearms and the light flashes again.

Once armed (i.e. immobilised) there is no noise as if trying to start.

It is possible to try too soon before the system has disarmed and nothing happens. I sometimes go into panic mode and try too soon and invariably have to start the process again.

Of course, if it turns over but does not start you have a different issue.

Les Richards said:
Mine has an Autowatch (I think ) system.

Of course, if it turns over but does not start you have a different issue.

Interesting, thank you. It does feel like an electronic immobiliser issue. The battery is conditioned and showing no sign of issue. Once I've cleared whatever gate is holding me back it roars into life. What you're saying is that I've got to better mask my discomfort at this apparently random process, going forwards.

Op I didn't fully understand your post. However, it sounds like your starter motor is only working intermittently. They do this when they get a bit old and especially when the engine is hot.

I would check the connections to the starter motor. Remove clean and refit them. If it continues to occur then a new starter motor will be required.

Pickled Piper said:
I would check the connections to the starter motor. Remove clean and refit them. If it continues to occur then a new starter motor will be required.

Thanks: I'll get this checked out in June's annual service.

There are different alarm / immobilser installs from new ie Porsche UK had them all installed after shipping but before delivery to customers. The earlier solution had a separate immobilsor 'blade", the later a combined central locking / immobilisor. I think you have the later one, same as mine. In theory you should unlock the car with the central locking and then be able to start the car but in practice I often used to 'time out" and the immobilsor had reset before I turned the ignition, I therefore simply got in the habit of inserting the key and pressing the unlock button again before turning......starts with no problem then :thumb:

jonttt said:
There are different alarm / immobilser installs from new ie Porsche UK had them all installed after shipping but before delivery to customers. The earlier solution had a separate immobilsor 'blade", the later a combined central locking / immobilisor. I think you have the later one, same as mine. In theory you should unlock the car with the central locking and then be able to start the car but in practice I often used to 'time out" and the immobilsor had reset before I turned the ignition, I therefore simply got in the habit of inserting the key and pressing the unlock button again before turning......starts with no problem then :thumb:

Same for me :thumb:

Same for me :thumb:[/quote] :bye:
:thumb:

Full day driving today - 340 miles to Cheltenham and back via the Wye Valley with stops - and this seems to be the situation. A little more diligence on the immobiliser and an increased hit rate.

The other observation is the car really purrs when hot! :bandit:

Attachments

• bd1eb352_43bb_4c14_bd07_990e466beb2a_186.jpeg
    bd1eb352_43bb_4c14_bd07_990e466beb2a_186.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1,976
Sometimes I may just sit in the car in the garage after a run with the door open, smell the hot oil and listen to the engine tick talk to me.......then caress the warm wide hips as I walk away........or I may just be dreaming :wink:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
11erCharlie
Back