Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

'Hunter machine' Geo Setup - Any good?????

Lig

Spa-Francorchamps
Evenin' all,

As some of you may have read, I have recently put new shocks on my car and the original springs which gave a considerable height gain as it was on Eibach 30mm lowered springs.... The handling now is shocking, back end is all over the place. I was talking to a chap today who told me of a local place that had a 20K Hunter tracking/camber/toe and caster machine and they do the full set up for £100 or part for £50 (if other bits are OK)??

Question is, is it worth me doing this and will it cure my poor handling OR should i just wait and pay £££ and get it done at Centre Gravity?

It doesn't have to be perfect but just a 'nice' ride. I am worried that CG are too pro for me and it will end up costing £1K plus as they will find lots to do?

Any advice welcome....

Cheers,
Lig.

Give it a go.

I know what you're saying, but a 993 Geo is Rocket Science and takes a good few hours to do properly. You might get lucky.

I had my old 993 Targa done by a local garage after changing shocks, springs etc, and it was lovely. £90.

Ask them if they have the kinetmatic toe too for setting up the rear of a 993l, if they give you a strange look and don't have one then go to a place that has

Have done my own daily drivier using a combination of spirit level, string, plumbob and iPhone clino app

Can't imagen a Porsche being any more difficult

Winny

The right guy with some old Dunlop gages & string will do a better set up than the guy with a 20k fandango rig who has no experience so defo go on recommendation, I set my own car up on a friends geo ramp & allthough it was fine I knew it could be better( only done 3 geo's myself )so booked it in with cg & it's now perfect for my driving style & am very happy with the 964 now Chris has done his magic....

Have heard good things from OPC byfleet if that's near you.? :thumb:

Winny911 said:
Have done my own daily drivier using a combination of spirit level, string, plumbob and iPhone clino app

Can't imagen a Porsche being any more difficult

Winny

You beat me to it! I'm slow on the keys :sad:

That iPhone app's not bad as when I got it on the ramp the settings where allmost spot on!

The ipohone app was .1 deg out when checked with a spirit level but I made allowances for that in my calculations done 15k+ on my daily now and tire wear / handelling is spot on

If I can do it anyone can

Winny

I don't know where you live but I had afull geo done on mine at purcahse as well as all four coffin arms replaced by the indy who did the PPI. I think he has the Hunter System (see his web site on this forum - Sports & Classic). It wasn't cheap, but the car is spot-on, and it takes a few hours - so not one of these quick in/out in 30 minutes job at a fast fit outlet. I got a print out of all the settings and I know he weighted each corner as well. I am not an expert, but given the cost of new tyres and their relatively short life, it is worth having it done properly.

CG has a very good name, but to preserve his name, I guess he checks through a lot of the suspension components to make sure they are spot-on so as to get the maximum benefit of the investment of his time. I'd guess for that reason, unless you know the car's history, you might find it needs a shed load of other work doing (genuinely) beforfe he does his bit - otherwise the results won't be there. Interestingly, you might get this list of additional work but wonder in amazement cos you did not feel anyhting was wrong in those areas - or at service they were never highloghted. So be prepared for that.

Go for a geo from CC. Chris is not going to spend your money unnecessarily. So long as no new parts are required it will be well under £500. If you need new parts then you`d have wasted any money on the hunter geo.

My advice. Do it right and do it once. :thumb:

Dream911 said:
If you need new parts then you`d have wasted any money on the hunter geo.

How true. Recommendations are key. I've had an expensive GEO done in the past and the car left with knackered top mounts which they failed to pick up on.

Save up, go to someone who's recommended on this forum and job done.

Dream911 said:
Go for a geo from CC. Chris is not going to spend your money unnecessarily. So long as no new parts are required it will be well under £500. If you need new parts then you`d have wasted any money on the hunter geo.

My advice. Do it right and do it once. :thumb:

+1 :thumb:

Cheers for all your input guys.

CG it is. I will report back when all done!

Cheers,
Lig.

Lig said:
Cheers for all your input guys.

CG it is. I will report back when all done!

Cheers,

Lig.

Good choice, you won't be disappointed :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j44k-dv
Back