Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How to make a 996 GT3 more supple

kingston

Hello all,

Following a drive around the border roads of Scotland and seeing, in general, how smooth and pothole free that are when compared to the ***** we have (NE roads are just as bad as Herts roads itd seem or even worse down country lanes), its making me wonder, as i dont have the smooth sweeping roads on my doorstep;

How can i make my 996 GT3 more supple?

Ive read somewhere that GT2 suspension is slightly 'softer' than a '3s with the tubbie being even softer still. Is this true?

Yeah, im aware that tyres will also play into this but as there only a handful of tyres seemingly available, we shall have to discount this aspect.

You need better dampers, primarily. Fitting the stuff from a GT2 is just replacing one dog with fleas for a different dog with fleas. Specifically, it's the high speed bump rate that causes the "crashy" ride on the GT3.

Look at something decent like 2 way adjustable Ohlins or the new Bilsteins for around £2.5K and specify sensible spring rates close to the standard ones and the ride will be a whole lot more compliant.

Surely step 1 is to have the ride height taken up for extra compliance and see how close that gets you to where you want to be before you start piling cash into parts... :?:

Disco said:
Surely step 1 is to have the ride height taken up for extra compliance and see how close that gets you to where you want to be before you start piling cash into parts... :?:

Slippydiff has already travelled this road. You can't make the standard dampers perform as desired by messing with the ride height because the root problem is one of compliance, not travel & specifically lack of finesse in the damping. Raising the ride height will only increase the travel before the suspension becomes spring-bound & that's not really the issue.

Also try taking 3/4 psi out all the tyres......you will notice a difference on the UK roads without any adverse affect on the handling/tyre wear....providing your not thrashing it.

wizard993 said:
Also try taking 3/4 psi out all the tyres......you will notice a difference on the UK roads without any adverse affect on the handling/tyre wear.

+1

Surely nobody runs a GT car at the (stupidly high) recommended pressure, do they?

32F 36R works pretty well on PS2s from memory.

NXI20 said:
wizard993 said:
Also try taking 3/4 psi out all the tyres......you will notice a difference on the UK roads without any adverse affect on the handling/tyre wear.

+1

Surely nobody runs a GT car at the (stupidly high) recommended pressure, do they?

The boys at kwik fit put 46psi into my rear tyres a few weeks ago. Had to go the dentist for new fillings afterwards :D

wizard993 said:
The boys at kwik fit put 46psi into my rear tyres a few weeks ago.

That's your mistake right there. :hand:

NXI20 said:
Disco said:

Slippydiff has already travelled this road. You can't make the standard dampers perform as desired by messing with the ride height because the root problem is one of compliance, not travel & specifically lack of finesse in the damping. Raising the ride height will only increase the travel before the suspension becomes spring-bound & that's not really the issue.

Just mentioning it as Chris Franklin has done this for someone and it got them to where they wanted to be with the car - so depending upon requirements might be worth someone considering even though an imperfect solution. That was a 997 IIRC though.

NXI20 said:
wizard993 said:

Remember Nick W's tale of an OPC putting something like 39lbs in the rear Cups on his - that is a similar level of crime... I'd say never trust anyone with it (not that I am in the slightest bit paranoid) :dont know:

Disco said:
Just mentioning it as Chris Franklin has done this for someone and it got them to where they wanted to be with the car - so depending upon requirements might be worth someone considering even though an imperfect solution. That was a 997 IIRC though.

Ah, PASM is whole different can of worms. They don't like being set too low as they don't have enough travel to work properly.

Seat Comfort mod....

asejfgjvgd_zps29e2f490.jpg

My work here is done...

All that's missing is the private hire deathtrap to put it in!

Disco said:
NXI20 said:
wizard993 said:

Remember Nick W's tale of an OPC putting something like 39lbs in the rear Cups on his - that is a similar level of crime... I'd say never trust anyone with it (not that I am in the slightest bit paranoid) :dont know:

At the time I couldn't quite understand why I was having to apply so much
opposite lock to avoid coming off the road at a slowish roundabout...lol
nothing like a bit of snap oversteer when you're least expecting it...

...48 psi put in the rears when they did the clutch fork warranty work...nice
on a damp surface..

Real ''muppetry'' at work...hey got a new word !! :wink:

NXI20 said:
wizard993 said:

+1

Err...maybe I am in the minority here and unaware, but I have always used the standard pressures for road use and assumed that's what the maker recommended given tyre sizes, weight at the back, etc. So are most people running different pressures to standard??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arv13
Back