Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How many miles before you change her?

abcheetham

The car that is ..... I'm on 67000 miles now, and don't really fancy chucking another £30 or £40k to get a newer model, mine is going great, looks great and I don't think I'd prefer he look of a newer 991 anyway. It got me wondering what mileage you all do or have done in previous cars before you changed or felt it may become too expensive to keep on the road?

Great question ,mines on 55k and it has crossed my mind.It's been well serviced use's no oil etc. and I share the veiw that it would cost too much to justify an up grade .At the moment Iplan to keep it a while longer .

Attachments

• 0691_431.jpg
    0691_431.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 3,091
I bought my turbo at 64k, cars at this mileage are fantastic value, i would personnaly keep the car, it will not suddenly start costing you mega bucks if you get past 70,000 if its history is good

She's been well maintained, is relatively gently driven and done a lot of motorway miles so whilst I accept that there's gonna be some maintenance costs etc I have faith in the engineering and I couldn't love it more so I'm gonna keep trucking on my non dating plate at least throughout this year which I think will take her to 75000 maybe 80000 and ill think about it again in 2014 :). ........ (Unless I win the lottery and then I'll buy a Panamera turbo to go with it :)

If you are not bothered about any form of upgrade and mileage is your only concern, given what you say, I would stick with what you have and know.

Assume the car has been maintained and in good order, so just enjoy!

As you asked, in the past (BMWs mostly), I have actually moved on at mileages in the 60ks, although I think this scenario has a different context.

Seventy seven - do you think you'll change your current 997 around 60k too?

abcheetham said:
Seventy seven - do you think you'll change your current 997 around 60k too?

I guess for me (and I suppose to answer your dilemma too) it will depend on how long the car is kept for.

If I keep mine for say 4 or 5 years, it will have probably not reached 60k. Alternatively, if I keep it indefinitely, the mileage will not matter.

Previously when moving on cars I have thought that a car with mileage in the 60s is still an appealing proposition for a buyer...... But then I wasn't considering putting in £30k for the new one either!

Hope this helps.

Interesting question. I have never changed a car based on mileage, my early cars were changed when they broke, now I tend to change them when either I fancy a change or circumstances dictate a change. If all was working well on the car and I was happy with it I'd just hang on to it. The most I have ever done in a car is about 25k miles, our current cars have 25k, 28k, 43k, and 105k on them but no plans for changing right now.

MC

MisterCorn said:
Interesting question. I have never changed a car based on mileage, my early cars were changed when they broke, now I tend to change them when either I fancy a change or circumstances dictate a change. If all was working well on the car and I was happy with it I'd just hang on to it. The most I have ever done in a car is about 25k miles, our current cars have 25k, 28k, 43k, and 105k on them but no plans for changing right now.

MC

That's a valid point. The maximum time I have kept a car has been 3 years.... And that was long for me, but maybe I'm just growing up now :lol:

I use to change my car every 18 months or 60k miles whichever came first. I use to sell at 60k miles for a similar reason as Seventy Seven mentioned - I felt it would make it more desirable for resale and partly due to boredom and the need to have the latest BMW/Mercedes/Range Rover. The great thing about a Porsche is that it's timeless, you know a Porsche when you see one and the age is never really in question.

My car's mileage is just over 40k and I use her daily. I do around 6k - 8k miles per annum and unlike other cars I've owned I have no desire to change after 1yr of ownership. Maybe its growing older or the fact I'm content with my dream car that I wanted as a youngster. I see little point in investing more cash and changing to a newer 997 or 991 when the one I own hits the spot.

MisterCorn said:

MC

+1

Used to change my cars every 6 months or so (well I'd change at least one every sixth months)

But current daily driver is just coming up to 6 years (although spec'ing everything I wanted and could foresee over the next few years from the factory in order to attempt some sort of "future-proofing" helped - never did need that tow bar...)

Zantaz - that's how I feel too I think, I already have the car that was on my bucket list (and bedroom wall) when I was a boy, I can't say the same about the pictures of Kate Bush in a leotard though, or the Countach, or Debbie Harry .....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benny-g
Back