Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How Accurate Is The Digital Oil Display Reading?

911seeker

Trainee
Recently speaking to friends who also own 911s, I could not get a definitive on whether the digital oil reading can be entirely relied on as a substitute for a dipstick reading. I have generally gone with the digital reading alone and it's been fine. Thoughts please ?

I was under the impression that it's ok, but as an additional meter. I ALWAYS check the dipstick, as seeing a digital meter is no substitute for oil on a stick!

Porsche News said:
ScoobyDoo555 said:
I was under the impression that it's ok, but as an additional meter. I ALWAYS check the dipstick, as seeing a digital meter is no substitute for oil on a stick!

+1

The digital gauge is 99% accurate, but not perfect.

So, it's very accurate, then.

It's very sensitive to inclines, and also needs you to read the instructions for when to use it.

Mine will gain/lose +3 segments based on a smallish slope. Nose down=under read. Nose up=over read.
Mine will gain 2 segments if left overnight to sit when compared to measuring 15 minutes after running.

Check the dipstick occasionally.

911seeker said:
Recently speaking to friends who also own 911s, I could not get a definitive on whether the digital oil reading can be entirely relied on as a substitute for a dipstick reading. I have generally gone with the digital reading alone and it's been fine. Thoughts please ?

I hope it's reliable. Turbos don't have dipsticks.

The important thing is to take the reading at the right time and to make sure you're on a level surface when you do so.

T8 said:
911seeker said:

I hope it's reliable. Turbos don't have dipsticks.

The important thing is to take the reading at the right TEMP and to make sure you're on a level surface when you do so.

EFA

As said the digital oil display is both accurate and reliable.

No dipsticks on on 996 Turbo or 996 GT3 (just digital, unless you buy the optional dip) and no dipsticks on any 911 from 997 onwards.

The OBC oil level check on a Turbo is a useful "Is the engine fully warmed up" device.

If the oil level can be checked at idle, then it is warm enough to open the throttle fully. I believe (but stand to be corrected), that the oil level can't be checked until the oil is at 80 degrees C.

I always use this method before giving the car any stick.

GT4 said:
No dipsticks on on 996 Turbo or 996 GT3 (just digital, unless you buy the optional dip) and no dipsticks on any 911 from 997 onwards.

FWIW, 996.1 GT3 cars did have a dipstick on leaving the factory. It may have have been omitted from the 996.2 GT3. :dont know:

On a NA car I can only guess it must be both accurate and reliable because the Turbo has no dipstick - only the digitl OBC display.

Can't confirm about the engine temp being 80 is the cut-in point for the Turbo dipstick to measure as it only measures when the engine is warm. It might be less than 80 for all I know.

Red993C4 said:
GT4 said:

FWIW, 996.1 GT3 cars did have a dipstick on leaving the factory. It may have have been omitted from the 996.2 GT3. :dont know:

I had seen them installed, but I thought they were optional.

996 GT3 "hidden" dipstick:

oilchange10.jpg

oilchange11.jpg

GT4 said:
Red993C4 said:
GT4 said:

I had seen them installed, but I thought they were optional.

996.1 GT3 had them standard, whereas they were dropped for the 996.1 Turbo which was introduced some months later.
As we learnt from a thread here some months ago, the locating tube for the dipstick in the oil filler tube was still present in very early 996 Turbos, but then dropped some time during the course of that model's production.

I have a recollection of the thread, I guess the on/off nature of the Turbo dipstick left me with the impression it was optional.

I presume if you bought the 996.1 Turbo dipstick (and possibly filler neck, if different) you could use it on the 996.2 Turbo?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
246dbo
Back