Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hot hatches

e8_pack

Montreal
I like cars and I wouldn't mind a little hot hatch for fun and some enthusiastic driving round some back roads. Been looking at 205 GTI's and R5 GT Turbo's as i used to hanker after them when i was a youg lad. However, there's some nice RS Turbo's about and the Clio Williams might be worth a shout, could even stretch to a V6 as i doubt i'd lose a penny - they seem to be holding up very well.

it's not an investment, it's just something i want - i always get the itch for something different and a FWD hatch of some flavour usually ticks the box.

Anyone got anything interesting or a soft spot for some old skool tin?

Have owned both a r5 turbo and Clio Williams in the past and both were an absolute hoot to drive.

The former was a real brute with heavy controls, massive lag and all the build quality of a Brazilian football stadium - brilliant but barking :grin:

The Williams was leaps ahead in terms of quality, ride, handling and performance - all the thrills of the 5gt, but far less inclined to try to kill you in the process :bandit:

I have a Clio 172 Cup for this sort of fun.

172hp, weighs under a ton, no traction control, no ABS, just a whole barrel of fun. Mine was bought for doing track days but is now also going to be used on the road as well. I'm selling this one soon as I've bought a seconfd one with roll cage and full racer suspension setup for a more focussed track car.

MC

Had a R5 Turbo in 1990, it was a bit of a handful, especially if you booted it in the wet, but good fun. Fragile too, not sure I'd rush to have another. If I wanted a hot front driver these days, I'd take a punt on a Mini ( BMW version).

205 GTi 1.9..Still looks great.Grunty engine and lift off oversteer..Whats not to like? :)

Mk2 golf gti FTW. :thumb:

I had an 8v small bumper version and am still smarting that I sold it at the beginning of this year - it was just so much fun.
Doh2.gif

It didn't hang around - I sold it within 4 days of advertising it for the same amount that I purchased it for a couple of years earlier.

I had a mk2 8 Valver... miss that car! Dont miss the dreaded heater matrix issue though!

image_url-11384-1339504958.jpg

I love the older hot hatches, and would happily have a MK2 GTI, RS Turbo, R5 turbo, 205 GTI, Astra GTE 16v, etc. The problem is that the parts for some of these are getting rarer and they can cost a fortune to keep on the road. So although they are lovely cars to have to take you back to your childhood I wouldn't want to run one as an everyday hoonmobile.

MC

MisterCorn said:
I love the older hot hatches, and would happily have a MK2 GTI, RS Turbo, R5 turbo, 205 GTI, Astra GTE 16v, etc. The problem is that the parts for some of these are getting rarer and they can cost a fortune to keep on the road. So although they are lovely cars to have to take you back to your childhood I wouldn't want to run one as an everyday hoonmobile.

MC

:eek: :evil:

I had one in 1987 and it was my umpteenth car.

:eek:ld:

ps. And, referring back to our conversation on Saturday, it was a manual :thumb:

A friend had a low mileage Miami Blue 1.6 on the obligatory 1.9 rims. Some of the antics I saw him get up to round the single track twisties, haunt us to this day.

3752097.jpg

Sold it to a guy we knew many moons ago and he wrote it off.

In 1987 I was 13....

MC

MisterCorn said:
In 1987 I was 13....

MC

OK, OK don't rub it in :sad:

T8 said:
MisterCorn said:
In 1987 I was 13....

MC

OK, OK don't rub it in :sad:

*coughs* I was TWO!

I do have to give my vote to the early 00's Clio's though, you can pick them up cheap and they're still great fun to hoon about, the later cup models are a little too civilised for my liking and if you can live with the awful build quality the earlier ones are fabulous fun.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfaMax1996
Back