Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hopefully Useful Porsche Warranty Info

neunelfer888

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I am hoping that this will be a useful guide for people looking at the ins and out of the Porsche Warranty situation. It is based upon my own research and experiences and also follows discussions with Porsche GB customer services staff and OPCs. It relates to the current warranty position as at the date of this post, which could obviously change in the future. The comments/observations are my own views and I accept no liability for any inaccuracies/omissions etc. Do not rely on my comments alone!

Porsche Cars Warranties in the UK

Despite several descriptions and titles which include:-

Porsche New Car Guarantee§
Porsche Extended Warranty*
Porsche Approved Warranty*
Porsche Standalone Warranty*

there are essentially just two Porsche Warranties, the New Car Guarantee (essentially a manufacturer warranty for a period of 2 years) and all other warranties (marked with an asterisk above) which are essentially subject to the same terms and conditions collectively.

Although Porsche sell most cars in GB with a three year warranty, this is usually because the third year warranty (after the Porsche New Car Guarantee expires) is taken up when a car is acquired by the first owner either included in the sale for free or paid for by the first owner. However, the third year is just like any of the warranties listed above marked by an asterisk. This is unusual and very different from the position with more mainstream manufacturers such as BMW, Mercedes etc.

Transferring Porsche Warranties

The Porsche New Car Guarantee is freely transferable between owners during its 2 year term. It essentially 'belongs' to the car and therefore, should you buy a Porsche from a non-franchised dealer or private seller and the car is less than 2 years old, the car will remain covered by the New Car Guarantee until it expires. The main requirement to keeping this warranty valid is to keep the car maintained according to Porsche's recommendations and with genuine Porsche parts (those things being governed by European law).

The other warranties are essentially agreements between Porsche and the individual that takes out the warranty and therefore subject to consumer law, it will be more open to Porsche to make additional 'conditions' in the warranty. This is why you cannot use anything but Porsche N-rated tyres and why other non-material modifications to the car will result in Porsche declining a warranty claim under these 'aftermarket' warranties.

This warranty can be freely transferred between private owners, however, one of the conditions of the warranty is that, should the vehicle that is the subject of the warranty at any time be be sold to a motor dealer (e.g. traded in), the warranty will immediately become void.

So, if you buy a car that was, for example, 25 months old and therefore in the third year of the warranty after the New Car Guarantee has come to an end, the warranty will no longer be valid.

Furthermore, due to Porsche's policy on new warranties (except the New Car Guarantee obviously), no car may be the subject of of a warranty without:-

Pre-requisites for an 'aftersales' Porsche Warranty

1. Being fewer than 9 years old and having covered fewer than 125,000 miles (or no more than 8 years old if applying for a two year warranty); and

2. Successfully undergoing a Porsche 111 point check and having any remedial work identified completed to the satisfaction of an OPC prior to being accepted for the warranty (NB if the warranty is taken out during the first 12 months of the New Car Guarantee - which would really only occur in the event of the car being sold by an OPC as an Approved Used Porsche - then the 111 point check is waived); and

3. Being owned by the person seeking to apply for the warranty for a minimum period of 90 days.

This means (rather ridiculously IMHO) that not only do Porsche want anyone wishing to re-apply a warranty to a car where the existing warranty has been made void (by transfer to a motor dealer) to pay again for a warranty period that was already covered but that they will also make you jump through all of the other hoops (1-3 above) as well, regardless.

Additional Information

Clearly it is difficult for Porsche to know whether you acquired a car from a motor dealer. Due to the way the V5 new keeper process works, it may appear that the car was transferred from the original (new car) owner to the new (second hand) owner, without any motor dealer being involved. Indeed some motor dealers will be selling cars as agent for the actual seller (so called sell or return arrangements) and technically this would not breach Porsche's terms and conditions. Be aware however, that when I made an enquiry to Porsche about transferring a third year warranty on my car, they immediately asked me how I acquired the car, an attempt elicit an admission that I bought the car from a dealer. Once I had disclosed this, they confirmed that they would make a note on the warranty to confirm that they were voiding it immediately. I was honest because frankly, who wants a warranty on a car that might be avoided by Porsche at the point of making a claim. Imagine your engine blows up and you make a warranty claim only to find that Porsche ask you to declare that you bought the car privately, whereupon they might try to avoid the claim. Warranties are supposed to be about peace of mind, not this kind of concern![/u]

Nice post!

What Porsche did you go for?

neunelfer888 said:
Transferring Porsche Warranties

The Porsche New Car Guarantee is freely transferable between owners during its 2 year term. It essentially 'belongs' to the car and therefore, should you buy a Porsche from a non-franchised dealer or private seller and the car is less than 2 years old, the car will remain covered by the New Car Guarantee until it expires. The main requirement to keeping this warranty valid is to keep the car maintained according to Porsche's recommendations and with genuine Porsche parts (those things being governed by European law).
I would disagree with the section in bold. You do not have to use genuine OEM parts, just parts that are of the same quality. To clarify, anything that's TUV approved or has some kind of quality mark tested against it by a well-known manufacturer would suffice. Anything from Taiwan that's a knock off probably would not. Brake pads are a good example, as you can buy the exact same pad just without the Porsche label on it for about 50% less, but it is identical otherwise.

That only applies within the first two years of new car warranty, though. Aside from that really picky little thing, that's a great post and very well written in clear English, top stuff fella :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MainA
Back