Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hiya

Plumb

Hello I'm Mark from West Oxfordshire, I'm a Plumbing and Heating engineer and have a Boxster (986) S currently.
I didnt plan on getting a Boxster but had it as a trade for a BMW Z3 M coupe I had that I couldn't sell.
The Boxster is the sort of car that I never thought of owning so had no expectations of it really, my mind was clear when I first drove it and wondered why I hadn't had one before, its a great car and really took me by suprise so good that a week after purchase I drove to Monza for the F1 GP and managed the whole way with the roof down, I can't remember the last time a car did that to me in a good way that is.
The Boxster isn't my first Porsche, the first was a long time ago and was a 914 then a couple of 3.2 carrera 911 from the mid 80's.
I've been driving mainly M3 BMWs since to now and still have one in the garage.
The M3 and the Boxster are to be sold so I can affford a GT3 (996) or with some help from the bank a GT3 RS (996).
I spoke to RPM on Friday and they were very helpful, I've been watch 996 GT3s on the net for over a year now and the price's seem to stay strong so it doesn't put me off as I think the value should hold when I get one and not plumet like that of a BMW M3.

Mark

Mark

Welcome :thumb: You will get lots of info from this site.

Cant believe the breadvan was so hard to sell. In a moment of madness after selling my 993 I thought about buying one as they are quite iconic (as long as the Vanos is OK). There are a lot however CatD

:welcome:

GT3s do seem to hold their value, and generally now is a good time to buy.

Prices tend to rise come the trackday season.

Zingari said:
Mark

Welcome :thumb: You will get lots of info from this site.

Cant believe the breadvan was so hard to sell. In a moment of madness after selling my 993 I thought about buying one as they are quite iconic (as long as the Vanos is OK). There are a lot however CatD

The Breadvan was a really hard car to sell, well it didn't sell it was swopped.
The breadvan is a hateful thing to drive, I hated every minute of it and was happy to see the back of it, I'd always wanted one and drove a few but you can never get the feeling for a car till u=you have lived with it for a while, except the Boxster, I loved it the first turn of the wheel.

Hopefully I will be in a possition to buy a GT3 before the prices rise again.

Welcome I to came over from Beemers as my weekend cars and latest was a Westy bike engined track/road car (mental but fun) I am a Sparky so like you probabaly spend most of your life behind the wheel of your van! Makes you appreciate your car, I was on the path to a Boxster which I never envisaged but after taking a friends S out for a day, I loved it more than I thought I would but a 911 was like most a dream car and I decided to go for it. Mine doesnt drive as well as the Boxa if Im honest but Im planning tyre, suspension/geo imptrovements once the moneys rolling again. That said I love my car for what it is and it makes me smile everytime I see/get in it which is what weekend cars are about!
Good luck in your quest.
My neighbour has an 02 ZM3 on around 23k, second owner, he loves it but Ive never been keen tbh, I loved my E46 M3 cab but as you say prices started to collapse so I got out....

Dave

:welcome: Fellow gas safe subscriber I'd like to bet you don't go quoting in a gt3rs :lol:

Waz 911 said:
:welcome: Fellow gas safe subscriber I'd like to bet you don't go quoting in a gt3rs :lol:

I was asked to quote a job for a rich guy over 10 years ago, for some reason I cant remember I didnt want to do the job but was asked to go by a good customer of mine and didnt want to let him down, so I went in a 911.
The guy answered the door and said I got one of those and took me to a barn, he opened the door and there was a Lamborghini Mura and a hand full of Ferrari's and a 911 carrera RS 2.7, I got the job and have been doing work for him ever since I dont even quote him now I just bill him after the job.
Last January he lent me his 550 marinello Ferrari for a day.

But 99.9% of the time I wouldn't price in a Porsche

smigga said:
Welcome I to came over from Beemers as my weekend cars and latest was a Westy bike engined track/road car (mental but fun) I am a Sparky so like you probabaly spend most of your life behind the wheel of your van! Makes you appreciate your car, I was on the path to a Boxster which I never envisaged but after taking a friends S out for a day, I loved it more than I thought I would but a 911 was like most a dream car and I decided to go for it. Mine doesnt drive as well as the Boxa if Im honest but Im planning tyre, suspension/geo imptrovements once the moneys rolling again. That said I love my car for what it is and it makes me smile everytime I see/get in it which is what weekend cars are about!
Good luck in your quest.
My neighbour has an 02 ZM3 on around 23k, second owner, he loves it but Ive never been keen tbh, I loved my E46 M3 cab but as you say prices started to collapse so I got out....

Dave

Hi Dave

I do like the Boxster but it isnt quick enough after the M3s, it handles ok and stops better than a M3 though.
I keep looking at GT3s then think I could get a 997 Carrera on a 07 plate for the same money and be able to take my kids in the car as well as the Mrs.
The 997 Carrera make more sence but the GT3 is a legend and doesnt seam to depreciate, I really really want a 996 GT3 RS but it is a lot of money to find.

Dont want to buy a E30 M3 do you, thats the one I am selling to raise some 911 money :thumb:

Id love it Mark, my all time fave car (rhd?) Will you take £100 and store it for me? :lol:
Seriously nearly got one 10 years back but got an Imp Turbo instead, when I bought my E46 I was picked up by the owner at Gatwick and taken to a farm (yes I was concerned) he opened a barn door to reveal a show and a track E30 parked next to mine, I didnt even look at mine for 30 mins!
If I had unlimited space and funds Id love to help Pal but not a chance.
Re; 997, what about a 996 turbo? quick and 4 seats? Im hoping to trade up in 12-18 months and looking at crashing 997 prices Im hoping to get one if not a turbo, but thats a dilema for another day. I chose a 911 so we could use the car as a family and I can enjoy it on my 1 day off a week without getting ear ache, its a bit of a squeeze but we all fit in....
Any pics of the M3 just to annoy me...

Dave

..................Once these cars were owned by City YUPPIE types. Looks like its now the plumbers choice :thumb:

I'm surprised nobody has grabbed Armitage Shanks as a forum name.

(PS - I'm not a plumber but have got an Edwardian set of drainage rods to give the drains the occasional jolly good raking :what: )

smigga said:
Id love it Mark, my all time fave car (rhd?) Will you take £100 and store it for me? :lol:
Seriously nearly got one 10 years back but got an Imp Turbo instead, when I bought my E46 I was picked up by the owner at Gatwick and taken to a farm (yes I was concerned) he opened a barn door to reveal a show and a track E30 parked next to mine, I didnt even look at mine for 30 mins!
If I had unlimited space and funds Id love to help Pal but not a chance.
Re; 997, what about a 996 turbo? quick and 4 seats? Im hoping to trade up in 12-18 months and looking at crashing 997 prices Im hoping to get one if not a turbo, but thats a dilema for another day. I chose a 911 so we could use the car as a family and I can enjoy it on my 1 day off a week without getting ear ache, its a bit of a squeeze but we all fit in....
Any pics of the M3 just to annoy me...

Dave

I wont disapoint you Dave :thumb:
IMAG1754.jpg

I have thought about a turbo, I've had 3 cosworths, 7 Imprezas, Evo 6 and a 5gt turbo years ago and they all drank much too much fuel.
My fault really, I love the turbo rush so drive like an idiot most of the time hence the poor mpg.

Zingari said:
..................Once these cars were owned by City YUPPIE types. Looks like its now the plumbers choice :thumb:

I'm surprised nobody has grabbed Armitage Shanks as a forum name.

(PS - I'm not a plumber but have got an Edwardian set of drainage rods to give the drains the occasional jolly good raking :what: )

Plumbers are the new yuppy :lol:

My mate who is a plumber too remoraged his house in 2003 and bought a brand new GT3 comfort model, he bought a number plate (his initials and 1 number, like AB 5) which cost the best part of £10k and put it on the GT3, he had a slogan put on the bottom of the plate which read "Just a poorly paid plumber" it always made me laugh.
He couldnt get on with the GT3 and sold it, he lost £28k on it then he bought a BMW 530i touring which he still has, he only bought the GT3 to beat my BMW M3.

I've got bad news for you - the GT3 does 22mpg on a good day & about 8mpg on track, so hardly any difference to a turbo in the real world.

But they're so rewarding to drive that you don't really begrudge the £85 for 250 miles of fun 8)

What is it about Z3's? I've heard a load of similar "it wouldn't sell so I had to trade it" stories over the last few years :?:

NXI20 said:
I've got bad news for you - the GT3 does 22mpg on a good day & about 8mpg on track, so hardly any difference to a turbo in the real world.

But they're so rewarding to drive that you don't really begrudge the £85 for 250 miles of fun 8)

What is it about Z3's? I've heard a load of similar "it wouldn't sell so I had to trade it" stories over the last few years :?:

The Turbo is that good on fuel, my last couple of E46 M3s were around the same as what you said a GT3 does.

Z3M has a limited market, isnt very quick and feels older than my E30 M3 to drive, I hate them now I've had one.

Thanks for that Mark, special motor, if I had the space, funds...... :roll:
One dream at a time I'm afraid as an even lower paid Sparky :wink:
My E46 gave me 33mpg on the 200 miles back from 'the smoke' then never went above 22! :lol:
A fellow R5GT appreciator eh, there's a few on here, longest car relationship I ever had (excluding the van).
I have tried to appreciate my m8s Zm3, I went to a BMW show at Tatton Park with him in my M and he lined up with a group of fellow Z enthusiasts who were very proud of their cars but I just don't get them? That was the day I decided to get shut of the M actually, you just know when it's time to move on :bye:
Having no experience of GT3s or Turbos I'd advise you hang around here for a bit, there's advice on tap.... :thumb:
Black with black as well...
:nooo: :sad:

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chimp
Back