Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help!

ddcookson

I am looking to spending £35k. It will be a third car for weekends and fussing over with the odd trackday. It will be my pride and joy. I currently drive 330ci and previously 968. I do too many miles to use these sorts of cars so decided to go for less glamorous day to day.

I am looking at 993 2s or 4s but cant help thinking a early 996 is now at similar money.

Where is my money best invested?

What will give me the most satisfaction?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7769

Definitely a a late 993. Will probably have lower mileage and be in better condition than an early boggo 996.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7771

993 is the one to go for. Like many things in life with advancement of technology, character is dialled out and 996 is no exception. Nothing beats the air-cooled engine's sound.

His

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7784

Don't agree guys, although I think the 993 is excellent car, I have done exactly ddcookson is suggest and taken the less glamourous day to day mile cruncher in the form of a mondeo 2.5 v6 ghia (old shape) and gone for a dam fine 996 C4 TIP with very low mileage.

Regards

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7788

In terms of investment then I think the 993's will depreciate less quickly than the 996's will..(just my opinion) but the reasons are fairly obvious as to why that is the case.

In terms of satisfaction then both cars can so the job depending on what you really want from the car...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7790

If you are trackdaying the 993 is a far better car than the 996 in terms of driver involvement.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7809

996 is not a good track car
early 996's can suffer from porous engine blocks
they are far too numerous to hold their value as well as a 993
993 are far better looking

and finally

Noony said they are better! and he IS the man.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7824

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Hope you enjoy whatever you choose, Johnny.

His

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7826

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by poon on 02 September 2003

996 is not a good track car early 996's can suffer from porous engine blocksthey are far too numerous to hold their value as well as a 993993 are far better lookingand finallyNoony said they are better! and he IS the man.
Well...Nice to know my opinion carries so much weight! But I'd just take a late widebody 993 over the first problematic orange lense-d 996. In some cases I'd take the 996...993 RS or mk1 GT3? Same price these days... :wink:
But thats the only case where I'd take the 996. Unfortunately the man who spends the money does not see it the same way as me...could've had a 993 turbo over the 996 C4...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7831

sell the Beemer and buy a newish very low mileage 996 with warranty (say 50k for a 2001 C4 with 10k miles)

Use that as your daily driver and your weekend toy

It'll will be cheaper to run the one car and if you do high miles say 20k per year, in 2 years the car will have 50K miles, which will only be 2k miles over average use

Depreciation will be less than having a double hit from the Beemer and the 993

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7897

993 or 996 for £35k.........

You wanted a car as a hobby car and a little track. I say take a very nice 993, it will feel special, involve you more in your driving and remain a desireable car for a long time yet. Which type of 993 is up to you.

996 are fine cars, test drive both, more modern, maybe better as a day to day(not sure!) but it might not seem as nice as pampering and loving a spotless 993.

The 'problems' with porous blocks on 996 are not as widespread as the tales suggest (but a horror if you got one).

I think overall, its a 993 that will float your boat and make you smile. :D
Later you could have a 996, but you cant go wrong with the older air cooled car.

Good luck, enjoy.

Adrian Crawford. 911secrets.com performance2and4.co.uk

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7901

I chose my 993 in similar circumstances. i.e. passed over 996s for similar money and use the 993 as a third car for recreational use only.

I view the 993 as more of a sports car than the 996 which I see as more of a "GT" car. (No insult to 996 users intended, this is just how I view it.) (This is also why I chose a C2S instead of a C4S). However, a 996 would be my second choice over any other car for the use you describe.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7920

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back