Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

HELP PLEEEEEEASE!!!

Elite Detailing

Hello.

This is Leanna, G's girlfriend.

I would just like a little advice from some Porsche intellectuals, like yourselves, as G is driving me crazy with 'no... we can't have this' and 'no... we can't have that!'

We are considering buying a 911, 996. We have agreed that we both like black(inside and out). However, G will not even consider a Convertible, a 3.4, a Tiptronic, or anything older than a 2001 51 plate and i am just wondering why?

He is addicted to speed, but surely a tiptronic would not make that much difference or even a convertible??? (Something for me pleeeeeeeeease!!!) Nevertheless, these are not even to be spoken of in our search for our new car... i just don't understand why???

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Nice to speak to you all too!

Thanks,

Leanna.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66822

A lot of people don't consider an automatic cabriolet as a proper Porsche as they both comprimise performance and handling.

The later 996's are considered a better bet as their engines are meant to be more reliable the early 3.4 ones.

Nothing wrong in being choosy, but he should get a 993 :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66825

I think the 996 convertible is the best looking 911 convertible there is, the earlier ones just look a bit like a pram when the top is down. It's heavier and less rigid and therefore handle less well but you need to be on a race track to notice the difference really. Tiptronic is just not "man" enough I guess, but may be G just likes stiring the stick?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66830

Hi Leanna,

good to see you are at least taking an interest in G's choices of car/spec/year etc

I would imagine G is just trying to make sure he picks the right car

He's choosing the 3.6 post facelift probably cos its not going to suffer as much in the depreaciation stakes as the 3.4..........its still going to depreaciate but it'll look a bit more modern and its going to be the engine/shape that ppl will want over the 3.4,due to the reliability issues with the 3.4 over the 3.6........tho RMS's seem to go as frequently in both engines,as for tiptronic he's probably worried that he'll not like not "stirring the cogs" and perhaps get bored of it and want a manual,tho I'm sure ive heard that for some reason the tiptronic boxed versions aren't as bad for having RMS issues as the manual(well so the service manager at my local OPC told me),tho like William above said.........he should really go for the 993 :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66834

Hi Leanna

Will you both drive the car? 50/50? or is it more for him?

If G is anything like me, he might compromise - buy the tip and then go right ahead and sell the car within a year take a loss and buy another one anyways! You might as well let him get what he wants. Boys love cars - can't change that! He will love you even more if you let him have his own way with the car!

But, you could scare him by really doing a bad job of driving a manual a few times. He will be scared by you possibly ruining the clutch and feel that HE made the right choice by getting a tiptronic for myself.

My wife doesn't like the manual transmission and gets very tired of it. I would rather get another car for her everytime than get a tiptronic.

Also, the 996/997 clutches are very nice - the manual is inspiring the tip is a bit boring. If I were you, I would rent or let a dealership let you have one of each for a day or longer. Once you get used to it, you won't want a tip.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66842

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Butzi on 16 July 2006

I think the 996 convertible is the best looking 911 convertible there is, the earlier ones just look a bit like a pram when the top is down. It's heavier and less rigid and therefore handle less well but you need to be on a race track to notice the difference really. Tiptronic is just not "man" enough I guess, but may be G just likes stiring the stick?
Nice to know next time 'er indoors calls me a big baby i can justify it with the knowledge that im gonna act like one because i drive a pram around town!!! :wink:

As for the tiptronic not being man enough... better go and paint my nails and touch up the mascara!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66844

Adopts Leslie Phillips voice whilst smoothing down his brylcreamed hair " Hellllooo Leanna"

i think your man with the bionic hands just want as pure a 911 shot as possible - no funny gearboxes or handling compromised by having no roof - and i agree with him.

However if you want a tip or cab then you know what you have to do (or dont do) to get it don't you.................. :wink:

Welcome aboard btw !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66847

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by roja on 17 July 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Butzi on 16 July 2006

Nice to know next time 'er indoors calls me a big baby i can justify it with the knowledge that im gonna act like one because i drive a pram around town!!! :wink:

As for the tiptronic not being man enough... better go and paint my nails and touch up the mascara!!
:D :D :D :D

I'm not judging! :D :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66859

Leanna - Your Man G certainly has good tastes. We are both searching for exactly the same car (I bet he wants Bose and the sports exhaust too). I am not an impulse buyer and have studied the market pretty well. I think that the combinations G is after will have some of the best residuals of the 996. If you really want to better it - let him get the same spec but as a C4S.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66860

Don't know if this is issue for G, but I think that the C4S is a slightly heavier animal, and I would guess would be slightly slower than your bog standard C2.

<sulk>But then again I drive a silver 3.4 tiptronic cab, so what do I know</sulk>

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66863

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkivalex
Back