Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help Choosing 911

damo

Hi,

I'm just looking into buying my first 911, want to spend up to £25k.

I'll need to use the car everyday for a 20 min commute through london and for touring type holidays, say a weeks driving in France, that kind of thing.

Currently drive a 330 BMW and its coming to the end of its lease, so I'm thinking of either leasing something like a Merc SLK or buying a 911 - leasing a new 911 is out of my monthly budget.

Would a 911 be sensible for me? I've been looking and like the 993's a lot.

For driving everyday are they ok? What would people recommend in my situation?

Thanks

Damo

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104356

993's are a good choice, with your euro needs have you considered LHD as they are normally 3-6k less in £

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104415

The 993 is probably a better investment if you are happy with an old fashioned interior.(personal choice and I think the 996 looks newer - obviously) The 996 values have come down a lot and are below the later 993's. Dealers pricing on 996's and what you can obtain privately have a wide range ie 5k plus difference. A lot depends on spec and condition.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104420

Hi Damo,

I use my 993 as an everyday driver - kids to school, supermarket etc. They are bulletproof and I love the classic design which I (personally) don't think the 996 has.

They are definitely going to go up in value as I looked for AGES to find one for my price budget of £26000 in the colour and condition I wanted.

But I think you have to keep it for a while if you want an investment.

Mine's never for sale and it will be passed on to my son when he's old enough, so I don't have to worry about what it's ever worth.

Which is quite a nice feeling, if you know what I mean.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104426

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, kind of confirms what I was thinking.

The 993 does seem to look more "classic", for some reason to me the 996's look older, esp the interiors, hard to explain, old vs classic I guess.

If a 993 will be suitable for everyday use then I think I'll be looking for a good example of that, for me, black coupe etc.

Anything else I should be aware of? Or any other opinions? Many people have said "buy the newest you can afford", going for a 993 over a 996 goes against this?

Thanks,

Damo

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104431

IMHO Porsche lost it a bit with thwe 996....the well defined front wings smoothed over. The engine water cooled!!!!!

but each to their own. I will continue to drive my proper 911... there are only a few of us on here who can claim that! :wink:

<donsflameproofsuitandhidesbehindthesofa>

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104437

Everyday commute thru the big smoke - £500 banger or tube = bigger budget for 911 :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104451

Service History -

A 993 must have a history to show its been looked after !

Paintwork -

Most 993 have had paintwork at some point, not the end of the world as long as its not too noticeable !

Tyres -

I always look for the right tyres (N rated)

A/C -

Most 993's A/C is not the best, but shouls be cold (ish)

Auto Gearbox -

Not sure about this one (anyone got advise)

Body Stickers -

Have a check around the car to check there not removed (if so why?)

Rust -

Most 10-13 year old cars will have some rust on them

........................................................................................................................ This is too name but a few things to check

I would go and buy 'Peter Morgan's' buyers guide, Have a good read though about what to look for, what to check..... This way you can look at a few 993's and this will narrow your search..

Once you've checked the car and like it.. GET A PPI ! Peter Morgan will give the car a once over, if its a good one he will say.. Remember your buying a 10+ year old car so none of them will be 100%.. I looked at loads before buying my 2, I know the current one has had a new front wing(when 6 months old), O/S/R wing painted, rear bumper painted.. but she has covered 80,000 miles +.

Good Luck..

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104732

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by damo on 30 December 2006

http://www.paragon.gb.com/sales/vehicle-details.asp?ID=131670

This is the exact thing I'm after....

How does this look to you pro's? Seems good to me, is there anything I should be particularly looking out for or any impediments with the car as listed?

Thanks in advance,

Damo

thats quite highly priced for a non-varioram engine 993 too tho does seem to be decent spec,do you have to have tiptronic too?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104758

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Rodders on 30 December 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by damo on 30 December 2006

http://www.paragon.gb.com/sales/vehicle-details.asp?ID=131670

This is the exact thing I'm after....

How does this look to you pro's? Seems good to me, is there anything I should be particularly looking out for or any impediments with the car as listed?

Thanks in advance,

Damo

thats quite highly priced for a non-varioram engine 993 too tho does seem to be decent spec,do you have to have tiptronic too?
Thanks for the replies.

Yes - I am erring towards tiptronic, mostly because it will be an everyday car in London.

How can I tell which are the Varioram engines?

Thanks,

Damo

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104785

Damo,

I have seen and driven this car. It's fantastic. I bought mine from Paragon and their cars are very straight and their staff extremely helpful.

The only thing you'll never get is any money knocked off. They won't even drop a fiver so don't bother trying!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104791

Very Late 1995/N, onwards..

Or if you open the engine hood, the engine has a silver lump on the top ! :oops:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104793

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by kim hollamby on 30 December 2006

Damo,I have seen and driven this car. It's fantastic. I bought mine from Paragon and their cars are very straight and their staff extremely helpful.The only thing you'll never get is any money knocked off. They won't even drop a fiver so don't bother trying!

Thanks Daniel.

And Kim, thats very interesting, how long ago was that? I dont suppose you got as far as a PPI with it? It does look like a nice car. How come you didnt buy it! Looks perfect for me, just hope it hangs around till feb when I'll be ready to buy...

Hmmm this is nice too
http://www.paragon.gb.com/sales/vehicle-details.asp?ID=154681

Dont suppose you saw that?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104799

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NBavers
Back