Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help - 997.1 turbo spoiler not working

Tombri

Nurburgring
The rear spoiler operates correctly in that it goes up and down when the car is stationary and using the switch on the centre console.

The spoiler also goes up automatically when the car reaches 75ish mph. However it displays a message "Spoiler failure control" on the dash and the spoiler will not go down when the car stops.

It will only go down when you switch the ignition off and then on and manually press the switch. The message on the dash then disappears.

There does not appear to be any leaks on either ram or from the pump area.

I have been told that these spoilers can be problematical and the failure could be a microswitch issue, or do I need to replace the whole system?

Can anyone help :?: Thank you in advance.

I'm not going to be giving you good news here i'm afraid .. feel free to not read any further ..

The system is hydraulic with a pump in the center of the boot lid and a ram each side ..

When you manually operate the spoiler it will go up for however long you press the button .. so if you lift it 2 cm it will stay there .. no dash light or message .. the car has done what you have told it to .

When it automatically lifts its the instrument cluster telling it .. it looks for a feedback from a micro switch to tell its in the full up position .

Its not getting this feedback so it doesn't know the spoiler is up .. it then flags a message and shuts down the system until the next ignition off then on .

This will be down to a faulty micro switch .. rare ..

A leak of fluid so it can't go all the way up and activate the top micro switch .. more common ..

The pump is knackered more one side than the other .. manually raise the spoiler and see if one side is higher than the other .. much more common .

Right hand side will be low ...

If you can see either of the rams are damp then fluid leak .. refilling is a .. er .. pain shall we say .. entire system off .. you have to remove the rams , power the pump to suck in fluid .. have the rams in a certain position .. dance around it s few times ... you get the picture ...

You also have to stop the leak .

If it's the pump .. pretty much a complete new system .. you might find a garage willing to try and replace just this part and then try and bleed it ..

Most garages tend to replace the entire lot .. expensive .

Micro switches are on the o/s/r ram from memory , a cover over them which you pop off ... to be fair i've had one .. only one mind where it was the micro switch .. loose i think it was .

More common to be a leak ( you cant see the pump if leaking till removed ) or the actual pump .. its a plastic block on a steel shaft inside the pump .. very clever design i must say and the block wears out ... plastic .. sigh .

To be fair though that's a 996 , i've not bothered stripping a 997 as once i realised it's not a repairable item i never bothered again .

Replacing the spoiler as an entire job .. it's NOT a diy job im afraid .. i can explain there if needed .

Mine failed so I had new rams made ( I have 8 spare ones in case anyone else needed them. Sat in my garage for a few years now! ) It is designed so the seals/ O rings are replaceable. It is a bit of a pain to rebuild the system but I did it. New springs etc. Tempting providence I know but has been working fine since 2018!

Attachments

• img_0678_435.jpeg
    img_0678_435.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,931
  • img_0678_435.jpeg
    img_0678_435.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,931
another picture.

Attachments

• img_0800_172.jpeg
    img_0800_172.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,920
  • img_0800_172.jpeg
    img_0800_172.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,920
Thank you both for taking the time to reply. Not brilliant news but sort of expected.
Ian, as always, your knowledge is extraordinary. Just wish you had an operation in NE Scotland.... :worship:

jl-c said:
another picture.

Nice work getting custom replacements made. Very cool.

Tombri said:
The rear spoiler operates correctly in that it goes up and down when the car is stationary and using the switch on the centre console.

The spoiler also goes up automatically when the car reaches 75ish mph. However it displays a message "Spoiler failure control" on the dash and the spoiler will not go down when the car stops.

It will only go down when you switch the ignition off and then on and manually press the switch. The message on the dash then disappears.

There does not appear to be any leaks on either ram or from the pump area.

I have been told that these spoilers can be problematical and the failure could be a microswitch issue, or do I need to replace the whole system?

Can anyone help :?: Thank you in advance.

I had these symptoms in 2017 and again in 2022. Fortunately both times it was fixed under warranty. I hate to think what each bill would have been.

The first time my OPC traced it to a failed microswitch and replaced the whole wiring sub-loom. The second time they replaced the hydraulic rams and, as that didn't cure it, replaced the hydraulic pump.

Fingers crossed there's nothing else that can go wrong with it in my tenure.

Sadly it'll be expensive for you what ever the cause. Good Luck.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsl997
Back