Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hello from a potential newbie and any advice appreciated!!

Lig

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi Guys (and Gals),

Just thought I would post an initial post? to introduce myself and hopefully get some useful advice.

I sold my B7 RS4 about six months ago due to it being a nice low mileage example and not being used. So I have done without wheels for the last six months by borrowing the wife's car when needed, which isn't often, but I am getting a itch for some new wheels and due to not needing a daily driver I can get something a little special! Enter the 993.....

I have done a bit of research but don't know too much about them really, just know that I love the look and want one ☺!

I went to look at this one at the weekend:
linky

I was a bit disappointed really, the owner of the garage told me he got it a year ago and he had been running it for the past year. Now my guess is that he took the images when he got it, as the tyres were different and the wheel centre caps were black and white in the flesh and they have colour on in the images.

Externally the car was great, bodywork superb no blistering at all. Internally the seats looked more worn than in the images (again a year on) and there electrics didn't work so I couldn't really get a comfy position... which brings me onto my next point.... Manual or Auto? Ideally I would like Manual, but being 6ft 4, I did find the clutch pedal to knee quite tight, in that my knee kept hitting the steering wheel, again I am guessing that the seat may go down (if the electrics had worked) but I am now leaning towards an auto box which may fit me better – any views on this would be appreciated...

From this experience, I am also thinking that buying private may be better as they are enthusiast cars and if you had a good one, why would you let a dealer have it?! So if anyone has one that they are thinking of selling then let me know...

I think I need to go and look at a few more.. including an Auto...

Colour wise – I would love an Arena red but they seem very rare?!

Any how I think that's it for now, any comments / advice would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance,
Lig.

Welcome to 911uk :bye:

Height may be an issue for you, especially if the car has a sunroof, but you can lower the seat by putting it on different rails. (I'll find the link for you).

Buying privately is a great idea, but if you don't have the mechanical skills to check it over yourself, paying for a PPI is money well-spent.

Re: Hello from a potential newbie and any advice appreciated

Lig said:
...as the tyres were different and the wheel centre caps were black and white in the flesh and they have colour on in the images.

You have a good 'eye' - coloured centre caps are worth more money than the sliver/black ones - what a cheapskate that dealer must be to have swopped them.

Lig said:
Externally the car was great, bodywork superb no blistering at all.....

Key areas are around both front/rear screens - you need to lift the trim-cover to see properly - and the rear chassis rails (which you can't see and just have to accept they might need to be done, unless you find a car with evidence to show this small rust-weakness has been addressed).

Welcome!

Have you thought about a Targa? you will definitely get more headroom.
If you like auto boxes then you'll probably like the Tiptronic S - change gears with buttons on the steering wheel.

Hi Boris and OCurry,

Thanks for the info. I did know about the windscreen corrosion and did check this and all was fine... It was just a bit of a shame really as what looked like a good car in the images was just a bit tired around the edges...

To be honest I dont really want a Targa, but I will see how my leg fits with an Auto box and go from there. I am pretty sure it will be fine as it was only when using the clutch pedal that I had the issue.

Regarding the Tip S, do you have to use the buttons to change or can you just use it as a standard auto box? I was hoping to change the steering wheel to a non air bag one?

Lig.

Re Tip box, yes you can use as a standard auto, so changing the steering wheel will no problem!

Bristol4Boris said:

You only get more headroom if you have the roof open and head sticking out!

Herer said:
Bristol4Boris said:

You only get more headroom if you have the roof open and head sticking out!

Interesting, do you think the headroom in a Targa is the same as a coupe with sunroof?

Re: Hello from a potential newbie and any advice appreciated

Lig said:
Ideally I would like Manual, but being 6ft 4, I did find the clutch pedal to knee quite tight, in that my knee kept hitting the steering wheel, again I am guessing that the seat may go down (if the electrics had worked) but I am now leaning towards an auto box which may fit me better – any views on this would be appreciated...
I'm the same height (with 34" inside leg, fnarr fnarr :D) and have no problem with knee/wheel clearance when driving*, with the seat fully back (manually) and down (electrically). This gives me about about an inch of headroom (with a sunroof coupe) which is fine, but a track day with helmet would be out of the question.

From memory, there is an alternative set of mounting points for the seat rails that moves them back by an inch or so. Oh, and there's no way you'd get anyone sat in the back behind me!

*getting in and out however requires a certain degree of athleticism, particularly if there isn't space to open the door fully. Also best to not have the engine running, in case you stomp on the throttle... :oops:

Hi Chris993C4 and thanks for your reply, this had made me decide that i will go to my 'local' dealer who has both manual and tip and have a good sit in both to help me decide... do you think the different seats will make a difference? From looking it seams there are 3 types, the larger hard back sports, the older style sports with larger lumber supports and the standard smallest seats? OR do you think they will all be the same - Which do you have if you don't mind me asking??

Cheers,
Lig.

Lig, welcome from a fellow newbie.

I went to view that very car and lets just say I did not even bother taking it for a run. I did not particularly hit it off with the "owner" and the car is overpriced for its condition / mileage IMHO. I'm not saying its a bad car for the right money but I knew within 5 minutes we were never going to get close to deal on it so I walked (literally to his surprise I think ;-)

At the end of the day he knew I was coming to view and could not be bothered to even attempt to prep the car for my visit so I could not be bothered buying off him. He had the wrong answer for everything to justify the high price and I was not there to argue. An interesting character with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Maybe he thought I was a tyre kicker but I spent much more the same week so his loss not mine.

Also from memory there was lots of missing history / gaps and no evidence of any general TLC work.

I think the seat will move to a better position for you.

On the subject of seats I found myself preferring the standard seats to any of the sports seats. To me the sports seats are not supportive enough to warrant them not being as comfortable as the standard ones if that makes sense and I'm old school and prefer leather to plastic. But there is not that much in it and most seem to think that sports seats makes a car easier to sell but I certainly did not factor them into my buying decision.

Re the steering wheel its an easy swap and on my list to do for a smaller diameter one. Even a 20mm reduction would make a massive difference to leg room as I suffer the same and have resolved it on other cars. I don't see the sense in airbag delete though unless you are going to track the car regularly. There are airbag solutions out there.

A silver lining on the one you have seen is that its one off the list and you are a little wiser which will make it that much easier for you to know the car for you when you see it ;-)

Hi Jonttt and thanks for your reply, yes looking back that 993 was just tired and you are right about the 'owner' he just didn't seem that bothered really. I told him that i couldnt see the value in that car... but there you go, for £15K it would have been worth more thought.... Interesting comments on the seats, I think i really do need to go and visit a few more to see what fits and what i really want. I know what you mean about sellers thinking the sports seats are more desirable and maybe to newbies like me they are, but its forums like this that help you see the light... On my RS4 it had the bucket seats, they looked the dogs but didnt fit me that well at all but again they were the ones to have... but i do think the other seats would have been more comfy.. anyhow onwards and upwards...

Thanks again,
Lig..

I'm 6ft2in plus fairly fat.....and (as has been mentioned) with the seat right back manually and lowered on the electric adjustment you'll have plenty of room....
A 993 certainly ain't the most comfortable car in the world but I refuse to trade it in for a people carrier.

jonttt said:
On the subject of seats I found myself preferring the standard seats to any of the sports seats.
I agree 100% - I find the standard "comfort" seats by far the most, er, comfortable :D

carkid said:
I'm 6ft2in plus fairly fat
In motorsport circles it's referred to as success ballast :bandit:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
246dbo
Back