Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Headlight glass cleaning kit...any good?

highway

Mexico City
Want to liven up headlight lenses and rear reflector. Do these kits, Meguairs make one for around £20, actually work? I don't want to waste the money on another car cleaning product that really doesn't do much worthwhile ( snowfoam I'm looking at you)

Found this on the 996 forum. It looks like a worthwhile spend. :thumb:

==> 996 headlight restoration

iirc The Meguiars 'kit' includes 'Scratch X' and all the other necessary bits.

996 headlights are plastic arent they

993 and earlier are glass, so not sure the same process applies?

917k said:
996 headlights are plastic arent they

993 and earlier are glass, so not sure the same process applies?

Agree. Cleaning glass is a different process.

To clean the plastic reflectors etc you need Maguiers Plast-RX (checking spelling). This worked a treat on my rear reflectors but needs plenty of elbow grease. Ideally apply with a buffer.

And once done use a Fluffer :thumb:

I used the 3m kit on mine, it worked a treat. :thumb:
So I tried it an old watch that was scratched so badly you couldn't read it.
It takes longer on glass but it still works very well :judge:

993 headlight lenses are plastic not glass!. If they are looking old, I suggest replacing them. Pop out the headlight unit, unclip the old lense assembly, give the silver reflector a wipe with a damp cloth. It is quite fragile. Clip on the new lenses, refit the headlight and that's it.

i did mine some years ago. They ended up looking like new and freshened up the front of the car. They used to be about £60 each.

Use the polishing kits on the rear lights.

pp

pp, are you sure?
I've never seen anything but glass in the 993 headlight.
Cheers,
Tore

The headlamp lenses on a 993 are certainly glass.

Polishing them will have minimal effect. Replacement is the answer for a fresh and bright eyed look.

I'd say they were glass. At least the two replacement ones I recently fitted, plus the ones that came off, were. Aint no Plastic polish going to fix those babies.

dapper said:
I'd say they were glass. At least the two replacement ones I recently fitted, plus the ones that came off, were. Aint no Plastic polish going to fix those babies.
Where would you say is the best place to buy replacement lenses? SWMBO asked what to get me for Christmas and new lenses are on the list.

Millomboy said:
Where would you say is the best place to buy replacement lenses? SWMBO asked what to get me for Christmas and new lenses are on the list.

Specsavers :dont know:

Or Porscheshop - but £115 each :eek: Try OPC for a price or eBay :thumb:

Whoops, they may be glass. It's such a long time since I did mine I can't remember.

I will hand my 993 pass in on the way out!

If you are looking to buy try Jasmine and also Euro Car parts

pp

pp :redcard: :grin:

If you want to replace your foglamps buy from eurocarparts, original hella items in a non Porsche box.

If you want to replace your headlamps, buy them from your local opc. There are a few badly manufactured ones, and it'll be easier to exchange if come across a bad batch. (badly fitting).

Ive used purpose made cleaning compound, correct pad etc with my DA polisher and it does clean the glass and adds a sparkle, however most of the discoleration appears to be on the inside of the glass, so a good internal goes a long way! Fogs are the same, however they benefit massivley from an internal re-spray, look like new for around a tenner!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calinours38
Back