Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

has anybody ever had their centre lock wheels stolen?

scott500

odd question. but with centre locks there is no individual wheel lock, you just need a breaker bar and the tool to undo the bolt and steal the wheels whereas with bolts you can purchase lockable wheel nuts?

I believe that is the case although obviously you'd need a jack and some bricks too, not sure on the wisdom of posting you're about to steal some Porsche wheels on a Porsche forum though! Lol :D

Just be very careful and take it slow... most cars also have anti-jack alarm sensors fitted these days :hand:

Tis a strong first post, of that there can be no doubt :floor:

Let me know how much you want for them :lol: :lol: :lol:

centre locks

thanks for the feedback. thinking of converting to five bolts as they would be more secure and also more useful at the road side.

I think the risk of them being stolen is very low, the theif would have to purchase the expensive tools first, then locate a car which is in an out of the way place,and cars with center locks are not exactly common, and one in an out of the way place even rarer. Then there is the problem of how to sell them into a small well connected community. Pretty unlikely if you ask me!

Much more likely is to get your house broken into for the keys, or a knock at the door and a polite request to hand over the keys if you don't want an 8" knife sticking out of your eye socket!

The other problem of what to do if you get a flat is faced by a lot of motorists who no longer have a spare, they seem to get by, join the AA!

My car has big brakes on the front so my spare doesn't fit that end of the car. It's not caused me a problem in 10 years of ownership.

Mac

Re: centre locks

scott500 said:
thanks for the feedback. thinking of converting to five bolts as they would be more secure and also more useful at the road side.

Welcome to the forum.

Have you priced that job up? Considering you'd need to buy new set of wheels anyway then maybe wait and do when your centre locks get nicked. :thumb:

I don't get centre lock wheels myself... on a f1 car with a pit crew etc where changing wheels fast wins races sure. But on a road car what's the benefit?

Winny911 said:
I don't get centre lock wheels myself... on a f1 car with a pit crew etc where changing wheels fast wins races sure. But on a road car what's the benefit?

You don't work in Porsche marketing department obviously.

Re: centre locks

scott500 said:

Most modern 911's have a bottle of goo and an electric pump regardless of wheel fixings, so you should be able to limp home or to a garage. So I don't see much benefit there, unless you are planning to carry a space saver as well.

Personally, I wouldn't have centre-locks, not for security issues, but because IMHO they are a faff and any damage / corrosion to the nut looks unsightly and are very costly to replace. I also like to tinker with my cars, so ease of removal is a must for me.

That said, you should have little problem selling yours on if you decide to change, lots of other people like the look! :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Malaking
Back