Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Has Aftermarket Exhaust Ruined my 997.1 C2S

garrarni

Hi. New here and to be honest, new to forums as well, so please go easy...

I recent took off my OEM exhaust and installed an aftermarket - 200 cell x-pipe and matching mufflers. The sound outside the car is great, but inside it booms (drones?) and I seem to have lost a whole load of low down torque.

At 4000rpm plus, the car is fantastic, but it is a bit of a daily driver and is becoming difficult to live with.

Anyone else experienced this / Do you have any advice / would crossover sports cats be better etc.?

Any comments thankfully received?

Out of respect, I won't mention the name of the exhaust manufacturer at this stage - want to give them a chance to resolve

Hi, I can't help with your problem, but welcome to the forum. It is a friendly place here (unless you sign up just to sell a 'plate).
Good luck with sorting it out. I think increased drone is pretty common with aftermarket systems.

MC

You could always consider investing in some Dynamat it can work wonders, an NA will suffer much more noise increase/droning than a Turbo car !!!

Think you may be onto something with the Dynamat (once I looked up what it was).

As a temporary idea about sound damping, I put the seats down and put a heavy duvet on the back parcel shelf to break up the sound bouncing around. The result seems like night and day - you can hear the exhaust note rather than a boom....

Now I just have to achieve similar results without them being seen in the cabin...

Will update on how I go.

:welcome:

Dynamat won't give you your torque back. (Spellchecker changed this to "Dynamite", I was tempted to leave it corrected!)

Change your exhaust. You will never be happy with it.

I have no idea if it's a "fault" or a feature of the particular system.

If you have fitted a new exhaust you should really have it mapped to compliment it.

JohnnyDangerous said:
If you have fitted a new exhaust you should really have it mapped to compliment it.

That's interesting, Im considering changing the back boxes on my Gen 1 Cayman S but I'm a bit nervous to have a remap (probably being paranoid I know). Design 911 offer a half price map with the replacement mufflers but now I'm veering towards a Hayward & Scott system as I'd heard good things, which means the remap doesn't get done...yet!

Would it be sensible to do the exhaust, see how it runs and then decide on remap or is that not the way to go?

That depends if you are talking generic or custom map done on a dyno ? If its generic then it will make no difference unless it is a generic map for their exhaust and one for a stock car.

Hello Johnny,

The remap from design 911 is about 300 quid plus VAT so Id say it would be generic. I suppose I ought to find out more about it but I assume that as they do quite a bit of this sort of stuff, they ought to be well geared up for it and do things right. I wish I knew somebody who'd used them for it?

I am no mechanic but can share my view on these cars. Basically, once you go down the customisation route (changing the standard exhaust) it can and does lkead to knock-on issues - some of which can beresolved, some which can't.

I honestly think that in your quest for more noise you have inherited a range of knock-on issues. You are probably best to put the original exhaust back on the car.

Porsche owners tend to be in 2 camps:
1. Those who want a car as near to how it left the factory as possible or
2. Those who crave to customise it to their taste - the operative word being "THEIR" taste - not necessarily that of a future buyer.

Each camp has its followers. The largest group of followers is in the first camp by far.

wilpert said:
Hello Johnny,

The remap from design 911 is about 300 quid plus VAT so Id say it would be generic. I suppose I ought to find out more about it but I assume that as they do quite a bit of this sort of stuff, they ought to be well geared up for it and do things right. I wish I knew somebody who'd used them for it?

You may do better with a custom map done on a dyno or buy their exhaust and map together just get a dyno printout before and after and get them to agree what gains they 'expect' to see, we see a few 'mapped' cars that are barely any more powerful but just drink fuel and run rough.

The 'psychological' re-map can be a wonderful thing, we had a car in for re-map ages ago and the guy came back earlier than expected to pick it up, it had not been mapped! We always let the customer drive the car before paying and if he is not satisfied we put his stock map on and dont charge, anyway he was amazed at the extra performance etc and was paying when the mapper came down laptop in hand to put the map on, the customer was slightly embarrassed but even more happy when it was eventually remapped.

Would the original exhaust with a Gundo hack not be any good? Or are
you after more grunt.

I assume that this is similar to a hayward and scott bypass?
If so, then yes I considered it but I was a bit nervous that i might be too loud?
Any thoughts?
Im happy with the power, as if I want to increase this I will have a remap, most probably rolling road.

Design 911 offered the remap for 350 if i buy the mufflers from them.

I had this last yr on my 996 c4'

A total nightmare - had custom exhaust and map done (threw origionals in bin )

groned and droned so bad i wanted kill myself - cut the back boxes open and added more wadding - bit better but not much!!!!

ended up taking them off and weighing them in for scrap -
buying some used originals back off ebay and doing the gundo hack !!!!

like i say "what a nightmare" :wall:

I assume that this is similar to a hayward and scott bypass?
If so, then yes I considered it but I was a bit nervous that i might be too loud?
Any thoughts?
Im happy with the power, as if I want to increase this I will have a remap, most probably rolling road.

Design 911 offered the remap for 350 if i buy the mufflers from them.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Malaking
Back