Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

hardtop rear heated window issues

moss

Hockenheim
just fitted hard top to car for winter, and noticed the rear heated window isnt working, took roof off and noticed there are locating rings where the pins go in, they appear cracked, any idea what they are called, where i can get them and if i can change myself ?

:thumb:

Also interested to hear the fix here, mine was not working last year and need to check the connection before fitting, thanks

From memory, I thought that the electrical contacts for the removable hardtop's rear window heater was through an array of spring loaded pins near the rear of the roof? :dont know:

If that isn't the case, the yellow ring segments shown in your pics look like brass contact surfaces. If they are, all the grease smeared on them may be acting as an insulator, which would explain the window heating not working. You could try cleaning the surfaces with a suitable solvent.

I don't know how easy it might be to replace the broken rings.

ok hunted about and came across this.

There's a plastic ring on the driver's side mount with two wires that lead to a metal contact patch on the ring. There's also two wires on the top. You have to have contact on that ring for the electrical signal to the rear window defroster to work.

Unfortunately, those rings get brittle and tend to snap into pieces. I lost mine last year.

The ring isn't sold separately, so to fix it you have to buy an entirely new driver's side mount -- or clip the wires at both the top and the mount and splice them into a butt connecter, so that you can just put the top on and then plug in the wires.

I wouldn't have thought you'd normally have access to the wires once the top is on? :dont know:

Looking at your pic of the "live" mount, the contact segments still seem to be in their right places despite the plastic insulator being damaged, in which case I'd still try to remove the layer of grease to see if it allows the circuit to be completed.

Red993C4 said:
I wouldn't have thought you'd normally have access to the wires once the top is on? :dont know:

Looking at your pic of the "live" mount, the contact segments still seem to be in their right places despite the plastic insulator being damaged, in which case I'd still try to remove the layer of grease to see if it allows the circuit to be completed.

yes for sure, will have a bash at that tomorrow.
cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acupunch
Back