Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Handling Issue

Remote

Spa-Francorchamps
Basically Im looking for some suggestions as to what might be wrong with my car.

I travelled to Centre Gravity from Dublin on the 4th of April to have a full Geo done inc corner weighting.

The issues I had when travelling over was the car was pulling to the right when on throttle and left when off the throttle or holding light throttle. It also had a slight vibration at certain speeds through the steering wheel, and could feel a bit wooly when coming off the throttle at high speeds.

After 12/13 hours with Chris and Pete the car felt great, they replaced 4 Track control arms and two rear horizontal control arms, the car was also set at 996GT2 ride heights, they fitted a 5mm spacer to the front and there was already a 7mm on the rear, the car also has KW V3 coilovers.

However over the last week the car has regressed back to going left off the throttle, its actually very severe. I conducted a test at 75mph on the motorway, held the wheel in the middle and released it, the car went accross 4lanes (5 including the one it started in) in less than 10seconds.

There is also a slight vibration back in the steering wheel at certain speeds.

Now these issues were not there when i drove home from Centre Gravity, however they were there before I visited them. They are not back in the office until tomorrow so I will be talking to them then however im looking to see if anybody has any similar issues and possible causes. I dont possibly think its Geo related as Chris and Pete know these cars inside out and im sure its set up correctly, but this issue that was there before i went to them, has arose again one week later after the visit.

Has anybody got any ideas as to what it could be??

Thanks

When mine did that it was a knackered rear damper.

New damper-all good.

Thanks Linda but these were checked during the full Geo and there spot on

I had mine checked too, but it is (apparently) difficult to tell.

I was advised that mine were fine, and it was only because I had a spare pair that I insisted they were changed. I was just clutching at straws.

I just sat down and thought through what could make the car do that-and it seemed obvious that it MIGHT be the shockers.

I understand, however they have a specific machine that tests the rebound rates etc that would show up any differences with the shocks, all 4 were spot on and matched their opposite number so I'd be confident it's not them

Sticking brake pads :dont know:

Was thinking that Wazz, but would have thought I'd get a constant vibration with that and it would be strange it never showed up on the 350km trip home :?:

Obvious but I presume tyre pressures are all ok and all wheel bolts torqued to the same setting?

Tyre pressures all spot on and bolts all torqued equally.

Sometimes it is that simple but unfortunately not this time

Remote said:
The issues I had when travelling over was the car was pulling to the right when on throttle and left when off the throttle or holding light throttle. It also had a slight vibration at certain speeds through the steering wheel, and could feel a bit wooly when coming off the throttle at high speeds.

I've known an instance of a car suffering from these symptoms where the problem was traced to the fact that the two rear tyres were not exactly the same rolling radius.
Despite both being brand new, same make, type and production batch they had come out of the factory differing enough to cause a noticeable handling problem. It was be confirmed by measuring their circumferences in the centre of the tread using a measuring tape.

Red993C4 said:
Remote said:

I've known an instance of a car suffering from these symptoms where the problem was traced to the fact that the two rear tyres were not exactly the same rolling radius.
Despite both being brand new, same make, type and production batch they had come out of the factory differing enough to cause a noticeable handling problem. It was be confirmed by measuring their circumferences in the centre of the tread using a measuring tape.

Thanks, I've not known of that, the tyres are 3month old P-Zero Rosso's, however on my old Corsa's the car done the same.... Plus the fact that on the drive home the car did not dive left would lead me away from that thought.

:?:

I thought the fact that you didn't notice the issue on the trip home might just be down to you delighting in CG's new set-up. :D
Hadn't realised that you'd already experienced the issue on a previous set of tyres, though I think now that you may have mentioned that in an earlier thread. :dont know:
Bang goes that theory then. :pc:

Remote said:
Was thinking that Wazz, but would have thought I'd get a constant vibration with that and it would be strange it never showed up on the 350km trip home :?:

Cris's famous cobbled street could unstick anything short term.
Go for a drive then check both sets of calipers are the same temp with a infrared thermometer. One more box ticked off :thumb:

Waz 911 said:
Remote said:

Cris's famous cobbled street could unstick anything short term.
Go for a drive then check both sets of calipers are the same temp with a infrared thermometer. One more box ticked off :thumb:

Not a bad idea, il have to try get a thermal one or ask an Indy to look at it, you could be right with the cobble street idea. It would be a nice result if that was the case.

I just don't want anybody messing with the geometry after the work Chris and Pete did to it so sticky caliper would be good result.

Is there any other components that it might be?? As said the shocks are fine according to Chris's test and the track control arms and rear horizontal control arms are brand new

Did you get to the bottom of the issue after speaking to CG? Any other leads? Keep us posted please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markt13
Back