Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 to GT3 Cup

Cup cars are only for the track and impossible to live with on the road

Unless you have the track to yourself a cup car depending on year may be too quick compared to other traffic so may be frustrating.

Cup cars are fine on trackdays - well atleast the slower 996s are :)

Just depends on what tracks and TDOs. Bigger F1 circuits, lower volume or double side overtaking days are easier.

Of course there is the additional cost of transportation, storage, maintenance, support team. But in return you get more pace, more fun, more focus, more awesomeness.

And to be fair, a 996 on slicks is probably about the same pace as a 991RS on Cup R tyres...but can sustain that pace over a longer period.

1xn3Mwr.jpg

911UK said:
Cup cars are only for the track and impossible to live with on the road

What about making the Cup car road compatible. Surely that has to be an option even if it may be expensive. :? I cannot believe that nobody has done it - apart from the halfway option with SlippyDiff's (996 GT3 Mk.I with Cup car engine.

Pip :?:

The engine is designed to be driven at full throttle and high RPM. If you were to fit a standard GT3 engine it would have much better manners.

MC

MisterCorn said:
The engine is designed to be driven at full throttle and high RPM. If you were to fit a standard GT3 engine it would have much better manners.

MC

This ^ And emissions, and fuel economy, and be easier to MOT, and manners when cold, and an idle speed sub 1400rpm.
Variocam is fitted to the Mezger for a reason, and it's not just emissions. The end.

If you want more horsepower than your current Mezger engine provides, buy the next car up the power chain, or increase the capacity of your existing engine along with some sensibly uprated cams, exhaust and intake mods, but do not go the Cup engine route (either "detuning" a Cup car for road use or fitting a Cup engine into a road car) Either option is a mugs game, and one that's best avoided at all costs.

Henry, I thought you enjoyed all the work you had done on your old steed :? Is this an in hindsight 'No' or is there more to tell ie you spent a lot of time and money and never really recouped it - ??

Does anyone know if the new owner of Henry's lovely motor is getting the most from it??

Too many of them just sitting under covers these days.

Pip

Pip1968 said:
Henry, I thought you enjoyed all the work you had done on your old steed :? Is this an in hindsight 'No' or is there more to tell ie you spent a lot of time and money and never really recouped it - ??

Does anyone know if the new owner of Henry's lovely motor is getting the most from it??

Too many of them just sitting under covers these days.

Pip

Hi Peter. I've PM'd you.

sp1ke said:
Slippydiff said:
That's not the new owner ...

apologies, I've no affiliation with them, & no desire to side track this thread.
I'd naively assumed it was, as they have posted about the car on rennlist several times this year.

eg
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/404911-post-a-picture-of-your-gt3-58.html#post17911693

& an older one which links back to your 911uk thread
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2...7-2-cup-airbox-in-996-gt3-2.html#post15955619

No apology needed :)
None of the posts you've linked to are from the current owner (Steve Rance)
Steve does very occasionally post on RL, but under the name Rancie IIRC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCGMS
Back