Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 Engine opened up

Ocean Blue

Mexico City
I was reading the PCGB rag and read that the register secretary for the GT3 has had his engine opened up by JZM. The engine has done 45K.
Do you GT3 chaps know the full story of what started this and where it will end and should other engines having similar bottom ends be concerned.

In the article he mentions another instalment next month (?).
A thread was started on Pistonheads a couple of months back where a guy stripped down a 100K mileage GT3 and outlined his initial findings. Some parts were as new but others were very worn. Unfortunately his thread attracted negative comments so he deleted his findings and photos.
I wouldn't say that these engines are bulletproof, probably best to roll the cars out of the garage on a Sunday morning, give them a wash and wax and roll them back in 8)

I read that thread before it was pulled.
I thought it read pretty much as you would expect, if you have a very high performance engine you can expect to have a pretty serious rebuild by the time it gets to 100k miles. If it didn't need a rebuild by then it is over-engineered :D

MC

Indeed, in fact Chris Harris mentions the addictive noise made by the 991 GT3 at 9000rpm in his recent video. He wondered how long the engine would last if the PDK box allowed the driver to hit the limiter with every spirited drive :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrmward27
Back