Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

getting very stiff to change gear

c2cabblack

Hi,

yesterday when driving , the gears become hard to change, i suspect this may the clutch that is gone, but is there anymoe faults that would cause these symptoms?

All help appreciated.

If its just the part of the gear-lever travel where the gears are actually being disengaged and re-engaged which are heavier then it it is likely to be the clutch. If the lever is heavier throughout the shift movement, it might be that your shift cables are the cause, which would be a cheaper and quicker repair.

Did you just notice it when the gearbox was still cold, or did it persist throughout the drive?

How do the gear changes feel when you run up and down the box with the engine switched off?

The worst scenario would be if the gearbox has internal problems.

I noticed it when the engine was hot and it had been driven on and off for a few hours, so i dont think it is a cold problem, i did notice that you had to lift the clutch peddle more and more to the car to pull away.

When i drove back to park it up, it felt really difficult to get it into gear even in reverse. :?:

c2cabblack said:
I noticed it when the engine was hot and it had been driven on and off for a few hours, so i dont think it is a cold problem, i did notice that you had to lift the clutch peddle more and more to the car to pull away.

When i drove back to park it up, it felt really difficult to get it into gear even in reverse. :?:

When was the hydraulic fluid last changed? Fluid level OK?

Would be best to get it to a garage to be looked at ASAP in case something suddenly lets go completely.

I have had the car for about a year and a half and haven't had it changed, silly question where would i check it from? :worship:

c2cabblack said:
I have had the car for about a year and a half and haven't had it changed, silly question where would i check it from? :worship:
Hydraulic fluid reservoir (clutch and brakes) is at the back of the boot on the left hand side (looking in direction of travel). Max and min levels are marked on the reservoir. It's probably well overdue for a change anyway, regardless of whether it is the cause of your current problem.
Best get the car to a garage for diagnosis of the problem and maybe a service and fluid levels check all round (including gearbox, and front differential if it's a 4WD) unless you know that they have been done during your ownership of the car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markt13
Back