Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Get out there and drive it!

Steve F

Just wanted to share recent experiences with you, following on from the members who have posted some very low annual mileages in response to the thread last week.

Just returned from a 5 day jaunt, during which I "bonded" all over again with my already lovely C4S.

Day 1 - Eurotunnel - down through Northern France - lunch in Luxembourg (very big on Asparagus there...) then into Germany. Couple of hours of slight "unrestricted/restricted" frustration, then, just south of Stuttgart, autobahn cleared, just us and a very discreet AMG merc, hustling along very nicely. 140, 150, 160, 170...176mph (indicated) before having to lift slightly due to traffic (that would be all of two cars, but it pays to be a bit cautious doing nearly 3 miles a minute...). Then again and again we felt that surging charge where curiously the car seems to get smoother at over 150. All very serene in a very very fast way. Went on for over 150 miles at these sort of speeds, the only casualties being about 3000 german flies.

Spent the night at a very nice hotel overlooking Lake Constance (hotel scored maximum points for having individual lock-up garages, ideal for paranoid Porsche drivers!). Woke up early the next morning and headed for the Stelvio Pass. Awesome hairpins, although a lot of nutty motorcylists (takes one to know one) kept the speeds fairly low. Lunch on the top, bought the girlfriend a furry Marmot (don't ask) and headed off down the other side. Less hairpins, but smoother and more open, so eaiser to make progress.

Then via several other passes, including the excellent pass at Gavia (empty, smooth, underrated) down to the Italian lakes, where we cruised the streets and displaying our deceased fly collection with pride.

Fabulous car - does everything you'll ever need and a lot more besides. I'd forgotten just how good these cars are because I spend two hours a day sitting in traffic in it.

So, my advice. Get a Eurotunnel cheap deal, and go and drive it like the makers intended. You won't regret it!

Steve

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29799

Couldn't agree more! Sometimes I think we spend far too much time polishing our cars rather than actually driving them.

I'm looking forward to racking up some miles with a trip to Le Mans and then to the 'Ring in early July.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29800

Fantastic Steve! I think I might suggest it to the 'boss' the evening for a long weekend sometime soon. Now, Warren, about your 993?! :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29801

Hurry up James - cos i found myself pouring over the map of the alps just last night................... :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29802

Just remembered, the AMG Merc was a swiss registered C-Class Estate - nothing to do with you was it Warren?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29803

I'm saying nothing, until i contact my lawyer.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29804

James Thomas

Whats this I see below your name "Soon to be LHD 993/996!
"

Where did the 996 come from ?

Dan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29805

a sudden rush of blood to his head :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29810

Just before this whole 993 vs 996 thing wakes up again, may I remind any undecided purchaser to see the first post on this thread... :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29811

:D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29812

Yes I agree....

BUT, what you drive 993 or 996 are 2 very different vehicle ?

:wink:

Dan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29813

hehehe. My head says 996, my heart says 993... and I'd be chuffed to be driving either right now!!

Assuming I shift my current motor tomorrow (the guy's turning up with a banker's draft and a bag of cash. Assuming the 'car' is what he's after, we get to argue about how much of the bag of cash we each get to take home!), operation 'Buy a Porsche' gets under way in earnest - just in time for the sun to come out!!

8)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29815

"operation 'Buy a Porsche' gets under way in earnest - just in time for the sun to come out!! "

Arr.. maybe !

But which one ?

I know all you 996 drivers will hate me, send letter bombs, run me off the road ect..

But for me the 993 has it !

don't get me wrong 996 is a good car, but there seems to be water in the engine ? Any Ideas where it came from ?

Dan

:wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29817

Next week I am having to blow Le Mans out but will still be driving to France on Thursday as have a wedding to attend.. followed by wine tasting in Burgundy. I can't wait to get motoring again with my new brake discs etc....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29818

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by JamesThomas on 09 June 2005

(the guy's turning up with a banker's draft and a bag of cash.
:(
watch out for the bankers draft issue. Better he has a larger bag of cash than a rubber draft!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 29820

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfaMax1996
Back