Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gen 1 3.6 vs 3.8S

Plumb

I was speaking to a porsche Indy and another friend who is an owner of a 997 gen 2 3.8S PDK.
They both said the same thing to me, that a 3.6 and a 3.8S are so alike that without looking at the badges you wouldnt tell the difference when driving and may think the 3.6 is the better car because it revs nicer and feels just a little better to drive because of it.
The 3.6 seems to be harder to sell if you go by the length of time they are advertised and seem to be quite abit cheaper too, I have no problem owning a 3.6 and think it is a bargain when you compare it to a 3.8S but would be worried if I bought one that it might be a nightmare to sell on again when I changed cars for a newer model.
Are the 2 so alike or are they different and you need to live with both for awhile to see the differences ?

Read any number of journalist car reports and all will say that the coil sprung 3.6 has the better ride than the PASM/coil set-up of the 3.8. You may well be right in that a 3.8 has little extra over a 3.6 when driven back to back. However, if you were buying a pre-owned 3.6 as opposed to new, then the rate of depreciation would not be as much. I don't think there is any problem in selling on a 3.6 provided it was priced correctly, specced correctly and there will always be a market for it; I have seen plenty of 3.6 Carreras on our roads.

Just my 2p.

~ Maxie

When the 3.8 'S' was announced in 2004 it was around £7,000 dearer than the basic 3.6 Carrera. This represented a 12% premium.

Over the years there has been a lot of debate as to which actually drives best, especially on UK roads but most buyers - both new and used - take just the facts into account.

The extra 30 bhp in the 'S' would have swayed a lot of people and the fact that it actually has a lot of other performance related tweaks as standard would have convinced many more.

As time has gone on there are concerns as to whether both cars are as reliable as they should be and early 'S' cars are particularly under scrutiny from potential buyers, but make no mistake - to most people the 'S' is far superior and far more desirable.

"You pays your money, you takes your choice"

Good luck :thumb:

Maxie said:
Read any number of journalist car reports and all will say that the coil sprung 3.6 has the better ride than the PASM/coil set-up of the 3.8. You may well be right in that a 3.8 has little extra over a 3.6 when driven back to back. However, if you were buying a pre-owned 3.6 as opposed to new, then the rate of depreciation would not be as much. I don't think there is any problem in selling on a 3.6 provided it was priced correctly, specced correctly and there will always be a market for it; I have seen plenty of 3.6 Carreras on our roads.

Just my 2p.

~ Maxie

+1

Also +1 to T8996C4

Personally, I'm keeping a close eye on prices, and when the time comes I'll likely be after a 3.6 997.1 or .2 to run as a daily. I always say that people give the baby Carrera a hard time, but there's nothing 'wrong' with the set up at all. In many ways I think the Carrera simply gives a different type of 'pure' 911 drive to my GT3. Personally I think it's the best kept secret of the 911 range
:thumbs:

In terms of value, the gen 2 3.6 represent a good deal.... With the right spec.

I have a gen 1 3.6 and love it. I'm sure if I was alongside a 3.8 on a track then you'd tell the difference in performance. As mine is not a track car I doubt anyone would ever miss the 30BHP or so difference. For me it would be more about the condition, the mileage and the optional extra's.

allenw said:
I have a gen 1 3.6 and love it. I'm sure if I was alongside a 3.8 on a track then you'd tell the difference in performance. As mine is not a track car I doubt anyone would ever miss the 30BHP or so difference. For me it would be more about the condition, the mileage and the optional extra's.

I drive a van everyday for work, I have a small runabout car that I use and can leave where I wouldnt want to leave a Porsche plus I can price jobs in it or the van, so the 997 will be a weekend garage queen and used on the road and for a few european road trip holidays so a 3.6 will be as good as any to me, would a 3.8S be that much better for my seldom used 997 :?

Plumb said:
allenw said:

I drive a van everyday for work, I have a small runabout car that I use and can leave where I wouldnt want to leave a Porsche plus I can price jobs in it or the van, so the 997 will be a weekend garage queen and used on the road and for a few european road trip holidays so a 3.6 will be as good as any to me, would a 3.8S be that much better for my seldom used 997 :?

Just planning our next European road trip now - the Route des Grande Alpes in the summer. The standard 3.6 is a great car.

Hi plumb, I think you are almost all the way to your choice in wanting a 911. On the second hand market you cannot pick and choose, be a bit flexible and the main thing to consider is condition, history and extras. What will be will be. I was hell bent on a Turbo, but having the C2S for a while now and 4,000 miles traveled it really ticks a lot of boxes. Didn't plan the model it just happened. Go try a few and enjoy the journey ,good luck with your choice. :thumb:

jon911 said:
Hi plumb, I think you are almost all the way to your choice in wanting a 911. On the second hand market you cannot pick and choose, be a bit flexible and the main thing to consider is condition, history and extras. What will be will be. I was hell bent on a Turbo, but having the C2S for a while now and 4,000 miles traveled it really ticks a lot of boxes. Didn't plan the model it just happened. Go try a few and enjoy the journey ,good luck with your choice. :thumb:

Cheers Jon
What I want from a 997 is (coming round to it being the easiest colour to keep looking clean) silver coachwork, black interior though dark blue isnt that bad my boxster was silver and blue.
I want Carrera wheels and chrono but could have it retro fitted, lower miles are a bonus the year doesnt bother me as long as the price reflects the age, sports exhaust would be good too but not a prooblem if its not there.
What other extras are sort after ? they seems to have all the bits I want on most of them from what I have seen.

Sports exhaust is a must. It's the first button I press after I start the car. The sound is great.

Good advice from Jon
I'm in the throws of solving the same dilemma when my classic motor sells.
Condition, extras, mileage and history in no particular order but a good mix of all, at the right price.
Gotta get an inspection of course, and as much advice from this forum and talk to OPC and Indys to get as much info to make that right decision.

For the use i intend A 911 for, I imagine a 3.6 would suit my needs perfectly, but I can't lie, a 3.8s would tick all the desire boxes and any resale doubts, as the 3.6 cars do seem to hang around a bit longer, but you can't seriously judge those cars without seeing them - the best well specced 3.6s priced sensibly will sell, as most cars will.
There seems to be a good choice at present with plenty of seemingly good cars about, but as I was advised as a newbie, when I'm ready to buy, I'll be getting some test drives and make my mind up then.

Good luck searching, I,m pacing the floor meantime....

Cheers all

Rob

Plumb said:
jon911 said:

Cheers Jon
What I want from a 997 is (coming round to it being the easiest colour to keep looking clean) silver coachwork, black interior though dark blue isnt that bad my boxster was silver and blue.
I want Carrera wheels and chrono but could have it retro fitted, lower miles are a bonus the year doesnt bother me as long as the price reflects the age, sports exhaust would be good too but not a prooblem if its not there.
What other extras are sort after ? they seems to have all the bits I want on most of them from what I have seen.

Sport chrono retro fitted does not give you the dash clock, it only usable on track or driving illegally, desirable for resale. Sport exhaust not a must but also desirable, Gundo hack or similar gives you the loudness but on a long run could become tiresome, the S has a great roar in standard form. I like the sunroof, heated memory seats, wanted crests but will have to do without. Colour silver or grey, black interior good choice ,black or white hard to keep clean,I got stone grey interior and love it.Gearbox I went in blind and got tiptronic, do not regret it, I know manual maybe easier resale but tip is more than capable. Standard the 911 is well specd car. Do your home work I spent 18 months looking. :thumbs:
Blue tooth and i pod connection would be nice.

There is little point in discussing performance or options: both aspects are covered by the brochures, or at worst would be evident in any actual model test driven.

The 3.6 is however, the kiss of retail death.

Yes it will sell eventually, and yes you can improve your chances of a quick sell by discounting (and even that last bit is all relative to the original price paid).

However, just like yellow paintwork, you have reduced the audience, however nice the overall condition is.

GT4 said:
There is little point in discussing performance or options: both aspects are covered by the brochures, or at worst would be evident in any actual model test driven.

The 3.6 is however, the kiss of retail death.

Yes it will sell eventually, and yes you can improve your chances of a quick sell by discounting (and even that last bit is all relative to the original price paid).

However, just like yellow paintwork, you have reduced the audience, however nice the overall condition is.

Surely the 3.6 will be a cheaper purchase now as a secondhand car so what you lose on the resale will be relitave to the cost of buying, probably the same percentage as buying and selling a 3.8S.

The 3.8S does tick more boxes than the 3.6, the 3.6 seems to sit a little high and the tail pipes don't do it for me but that wouldnt put me off buying one as a set of Eibach springs and a sports exhaust would address these issues for me.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7CUU
Back