Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gearbox oil change for a 997.1 manual but with the P17 LSD?

spinnaker

Hockenheim
Hi all,

I'm booked in to a local indie next week and was going to get some maintenance bits sorted while there.

One thing was to change the gearbox oil. I have read all the threads and there is lots of love for 75w90 Millers NT gearbox oil. However my car has the rare P17 sport suspension option fitted from the factory (20mm lower, stiffer damping, no PASM, mechanical limited slip diff.) and it is the LSD bit I am unsure about.

I'm looking to order 3 litres of the oil but there seems to be a standard version and an LS (Limited Slip) version. I know it sounds obvious but I don't know if I should be using the LS version or the standard version?

Looking at this similar topic in the 996 forum it seems that the general consensus is to use the standard 75w90 and that the LS version is not needed:
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=118881

Anyone able to confirm before I inevitably order the wrong thing?!

So on this one I think I am going to give the local OPC a call and see what their guidance says. I'm always just a bit wary of getting a half-baked answer off the cuff from whoever answers the phone, but I'm not sure what else to do.

This is a bit of a niche query given that there are so few of these with the factory LSD so it is not unreasonable that it might be tough to get the right answer.

parts doc only lists one number:

000 043 305 48

no sep number for LSD equipped cars.

saw this too on a search:

There is a Shell Porsche part number 999-917-546-00, but this is not recommended for cars with LSD. The Mobil Porsche part number is 000-043-305-48 for a 20 litres can and 000-043-305-49 for a one litre bottle. This is recommended for cars with LSD.

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1554324

Thanks Paul, that is great. Good search skills, I would never have found that text as that thread is slightly off topic!

Quick update on this one. I have just had the transmission oil changed today in my 997.1 and the ex-OPC engineers agreed that standard 75w90 transmission oil was the order of the day. It already feels rather better.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrmward27
Back