Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gearbox issues

keith2874

Hello all,

This is my first post, as I've just bought a 993 c2 a couple of days ago. The car needs a bit of work but was very cheap. I had a PPI prior to purchase which unfortunately failed to identify the following:

When the gearbox is cold, it graunches when you change from first to second some of the time. When the box is warm there's no issue although it feels a bit notchy, and it's always fine if you're going from third to second.

I'm going to try getting the gearbox oil changed, and see if that helps. If not i'm thinking it could be a syncro problem. Has anyone else had a problem of this type, and if so what work was required, and how much did it cost to rectify? And which garage would you use to sort it out?

Any advice and suggestions gratefully received

Regards

Keith

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111247

Don't take this as gospel, it's just "what I've heard" that it's not unusual for gear changes between 1st and 2nd to be quite tricky when the engine is cold.
I know it doesn't help much, but it's could be quite normal.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111249

Yes, my car has been like that since I got it (although not so much of a graunch as a bit rough entry). There's nothing wrong with the gear box, just the way it is. I just go straight from 1st to third when the engine's cold. Soon settles within minutes of driving. Very common problem with the car I was told!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111250

Daz not have a similar problem with his 993 when he first appeared on the forum?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111256

I think Daz had slightly different problem, something to do with the input drive shaft? Had very similar problem with my gear box a while ago, scared the day lights out of me but it turned out to be some spring selector what'sit popped out needed popping back in, or something like that, simplified to dumb dumb language! :oops:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111262

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by keith2874 on 22 January 2007

When the gearbox is cold, it graunches when you change from first to second some of the time. When the box is warm there's no issue although it feels a bit notchy, and it's always fine if you're going from third to second.
very normal, it just takes a short while for it all to heat up

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111265

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chmanc911
Back