Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gave my newly purchased GT3 a Detail...

Clark_PB

Hi Guys, thought this might be of interest to some (I know not all!) of you. I've sought permission from Gurcharn to post this too so he's cool with it :)

After selling my much loved Impreza WR1 back in November...

1023.jpg

...This allowed me to start the long (or at least so I thought)search for it's replacement. What I was after was a Porsche 996 Mk2 GT3 Club Sport and it had to be in either Speed Yellow or Guards Red....

However approximately a week later a member on one of the Porsche forums contacted me saying he was moving to France in the summer and as a result his much pampered Club Sport was potentially available. It wasn't Yellow or Red but after getting full details of the car and sending a much respected Professional Detailer round to inspect it for me a deal was done - the car was just too good to miss!

Brief spec of the car was as follows:

- Believed to be 1 of 9 GT3's in Cobalt Blue.
- Just over 11,000 miles!
- Litronic Headlights.
- Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB)
- AC/Climate Control.
- FPSH.
- RS Air Intake.
- PARR Fast Road Set Up.

So the following weekend and after nervously watching the weather forecast as the snow continued to come and go my Dad and I flew down to sussex to collect the car. We couldn't have been more fortunate with the weather as it stayed completely dry 99% of the journey home except for a bit of rain at Birmingham and Glasgow.

Once I got it home on the Saturday evening I gave it a thorough rinse off just to get rid of the majority of dirt until the next morning.

Sunday AM arrived and I was back at work as soon as it was light enough to get the car washed and get the underside all cleaned to remove any road salt:

CS001.jpg

Luckily the underside was still pretty clean so a good going over with a citrus degreaser was sufficient:

CS002.jpg

The plan is to get the underside completely sealed and protected with an undercarriage wax but the existing protection is still very good so that's for another day and another write up entirely!

From here on in not everything may have been done in this order but as the work was carried out over the last 3 weeks or so it's easier to read if I do it in this way :)

The wheels were removed to give the arches a quick going over to remove the worst of the dirt before paying more attention to them inside:

CS003.jpg

A combination of road grime and old wax protection applied from the factory detracted from the look:

CS004.jpg

CS005.jpg

So after a thorough degrease and old wax removed with a tar and glue remover the arches were ready to be sealed with a new coating.

Masked up to prevent any overspray landing on the car:

CS006.jpg

After a bit of research it seemed Bilt Hamber's Dynax UC was what I was after:

CS007.jpg

I'm not a fan of Black or Brown wax oil type products so with the Dynax UC's completely transparent appearance and corrosion inhibitors it seemed to be the perfect choice.

Rear arch after a bit of polishing and application of the Dynax (I'm going to have to sort the flaking paint on the springs as it's driving me mad!):

CS009.jpg

CS008.jpg

Front arch done:

CS010.jpg

This pic shows the wax approx 10 minutes after application (3 thin-ish coats) - now that it's dried completely you can't even tell it's been applied:

CS011.jpg

Now onto the discs and calipers:

CS012.jpg

The long rod is one of Porsche's wheel removal tools which prevents the wheel from chipping those pricey discs. I ordered a 2nd one for extra safety and they really are such a simple but effective thing to have, especially for the rear wheels which are substantially wider than the fronts :)

The centres were slightly dull and had a bit of water spotting but a bit of light polishing with some metal polish did the trick:

CS015.jpg
CS016.jpg

The calipers were then cleaned with IPA...

CS013.jpg

...and then sealed with a glass coating:

CS014.jpg

Same coating also applied to the wheels while they were off:

CS017.jpg

Back on and looking good!

CS018.jpg

With the wheels and arches sorted it was then time to sort the paintwork out. First of all I removed the GT3 badge to allow for polishing behind:

CS019.jpg

A line of tape accross the letters before removing keeps the spacing correct if you plan to re-use it.

I later fitted a Club Sport Decal instead as it makes cleaning easier and saves a bit of weight :D

CS020.jpg

Overall, for a car that had never seen any paint correction before (the paint is all original too except for the air intake on the engine lid) the paintwork was in pretty good condition with just the odd collection of random scratches here and there.

The paint was really sticky (common theme with Porsches and especially the 996's) but fortunately this usually means the paint is easily corrected as sticky paints tend to be on the soft side. As a result, even the deeper marks were easily removed with the DA machine.

A few progress shots:

CS021.jpg
CS022.jpg

Rear wing removed to gain access underneath:

CS027.jpg

CS023.jpg
CS024.jpg

CS028.jpg

CS029.jpg

CS030.jpg

Rear light clusters before and after:

CS031.jpg
CS032.jpg

Rear quarter before and after:

CS035.jpg
CS036.jpg

The plastic panels of the car were slightly tougher so a Microfibre cutting system was used:

CS037.jpg

CS038.jpg

CS033.jpg
CS034.jpg

With the first stage of correction complete I took a break from polishing and decided to fit some new light bulbs that had arrived.

CS039.jpg

The orange indicator's were replaced with some nice chrome ones (that still flash orange):

CS040.jpg

This really freshens a car up in my opinion:

CS041.jpg
CS042.jpg

The same was done for the rear.

I also replaced the front side lights with LED's as their yellow appearance looked horrible compared to the white light of the Xenons:

CS043.jpg
CS044.jpg

Number plate lights also got the LED treatment, I think it's fairly obvious which one is which:

CS045.jpg

The interior also got the LED treatment:

CS046.jpg
CS047.jpg

CS048.jpg

Whilst I was messing about with electrics I wired up a quick release plug from my battery conditioner to the battery to save having to remove the compartment lid every time I wanted to take the car out the garage:

CS051.jpg

Back to polishing now. The first stage had created a bit of dust so I gave the car a rinse off outside and then dried with the air drier.

Stage 2 was the refining stage to really bring out the clarity in the paintwork:

CS049.jpg

CS050.jpg

While doing the driver's door I noticed the lock could do with a bit of a spruce up so 30 seconds with a cotton bud and some metal polish did the trick:

CS054.jpg
CS055.jpg

With the machine polishing finally completed and after a dust down with a lambswool duster the paintwork was then waxed.

Tailpipes polished:

CS052.jpg
CS053.jpg

The exterior glass was cleaned with IPA and then protected with a Glass Sealant:

CS056.jpg

Interior glass being cleaned:

CS062.jpg

Including the absolute pain in the backside that is the rear screen - thanks largely to all the scaffolding getting in the way!

CS063.jpg
CS064.jpg

CS065.jpg

An Acrylic Sealant was applied to all the exterior window rubbers and plastic trim:

CS059.jpg

CS060.jpg

CS061.jpg

Sills also protected:

CS075.jpg

CS076.jpg

Same for the splitter...

CS057.jpg

CS058.jpg

An all in one product was then used to polish and protect the door shuts:

CS071.jpg

Engine bay paintwork also done:

CS072.jpg

Another small job for the metal polish:

CS073.jpg
CS074.jpg

I then dusted down the interior...

CS066.jpg

CS067.jpg

...before removing the padding from the seats to be able to hoover more thoroughly:

CS068.jpg

CS069.jpg

CS070.jpg

The leather and vinyl then got a wipe over with a damp MF towel leaving this:

CS098.jpg

CS100.jpg

CS097.jpg

Engine bay after being dressed with a water based product:

CS102.jpg

CS101.jpg

Finally it was finished, well done if you made it this far and here are the after shots :)

CS077.jpg

CS078.jpg

CS080.jpg

CS079.jpg

CS081.jpg

CS084.jpg

CS085.jpg

CS086.jpg

CS087.jpg

CS088.jpg

CS089.jpg

CS090.jpg

CS091.jpg

CS092.jpg

CS093.jpg

CS094.jpg

CS095.jpg

CS096.jpg

I then took a few pics outside as it looked like the sun was about to burst through...

CS103.jpg

CS104.jpg

CS105.jpg

CS106.jpg

True to form though, it never did come out so I had to put the car back inside and make do with some imitation sun instead :rolleyes:

CS114.jpg

CS113.jpg

CS112.jpg

CS111.jpg

CS110.jpg

CS109.jpg

CS108.jpg

CS107.jpg

Thanks for looking - hope you like :)

P.S - don't worry, the car will get driven as much as it gets cleaned!

Nice work carlooks amazing :thumb:

Good work. beautiful colour.
Nice to have decent garage to work in.
Are you sure you didn't own a 993 before? The 993 lot will love this attention to detail :floor:

An excellent job on a stunning car!

Glad to hear it's going to get used as well !

Enjoy it......

Wow! That looks awesome although I'm biased towards anything in Cobalt Blue.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the indicator bulbs and LEDs from. They make a great difference.

Cheers, Steve

Rallyeman said:
Good work. beautiful colour.
Nice to have decent garage to work in.
Are you sure you didn't own a 993 before? The 993 lot will love this attention to detail :floor:

No but my dad has a concours winning X50 993 Turbo :grin:

Steve B said:
Wow! That looks awesome although I'm biased towards anything in Cobalt Blue.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the indicator bulbs and LEDs from. They make a great difference.

Cheers, Steve

eBay my friend, I think I probably got all the bulbs for not much more than a tenner. Your manual should tell you what fitment you need for each one as I've gone and forgotten already :?

Looks immense. The headlight/side bulb changes are subtle but certainly transforms the look of the car. :thumb:

The number plate is a nice touch as well but I can't help but notice those front seats don't have too much room for the bigger ar$ed individual. :)

Good to see such dedication ( doffs cap) you didn't mention if you removed the rear light cluster (1x 10mm bolt) that's an area of high dirt concentration.

The rear plate LED might not last too long as heat from CAT's tries to kill them especially during summer.

Many miles of happy motoring ahead of you now. Well done.

An absolutely superb job, but remember, a GT3 is for life, not just for cleaning.

Looking forward to your equally detailed reports from your track days.

:thumb:

WOW . nice work . nice car too.
Whats the polishing machine you are using ( the red thing ) is it something a novice can use and do i need to buy any pads or stuff or would you say i am better off to pay to have it done. :dont know:

Great job and write up :worship:

Looks fantastic, what wax do you use?

Superb job done, looks absolutely fantastic 8)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chimp
Back