Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Garage forecourt fuel pump problem

Ken White

Went to the garage today and put £25 of fuel in the car. Came out to drive off and it did not read any extra fuel in the tank, but thought it was an airlock. Went to another garage and put £20 in and it showed on the fuel gauge. So no fuel was put in the tank in the first garage, even though it came up on the till as been pumped. This is the second time it has happened since I have the car (now 5 yrs old).

Has this happened to anyone else, or is it just me?

Was the tank quite close to empty on the first fill? You need a certain amount before it registers.

MC

It happens to someone on here with a Carrera 4 or Turbo every few weeks. The tank gauge on the 4WDs can't "read" the last 19 litres in the tank, so if you add too little fuel from near empty the gauge doesn't show it. The first petrol station didn't cheat you. :D

When you're using fuel below the 19 litre mark, the ECU measures your consumption based on the accumulated opening times of the fuel injectors and "tells" the gauge how much you have left.
This is done to overcome a situation caused by having to squeeze an odd-shaped tank into an awkward space to maximise range.

It was just on the red light so pulled in to garage to fill. But having paid for £45 worth of fuel, it has only gone to about a quarter of tank. This was after paying for the second amount of fuel. So £45 should have filled the tank a lot more.

Any thoughts?

Ken White said:
It was just on the red light so pulled in to garage to fill. But having paid for £45 worth of fuel, it has only gone to about a quarter of tank. This was after paying for the second amount of fuel. So £45 should have filled the tank a lot more.

Any thoughts?

IIRC, others have complained of the fuel level display "sticking" after they have run a while with the gauge on empty. You may find that it returns to normal the next time you drive without you having to do anything. Failing that, I'd personally be inclined to just brim the tank to see if that shifts the needle.

Ok will fill the tank and see how much that takes. Will work it out from there as to how much fuel in total I have put in.

Cheers

i had a cayenne on demo , went to put some diesel in and as i picked up the diesel nozzle it knocked off a petrol one , so i put that one back on and put £20 in . the fuel gauge didn't move . i did think may bee i should have gone back to check but the dim bird driving the till would not have under stood . :dont know:

...when I fill my cars...I can always feel the fuel pumping into the tank..... :?:

T8996C4 said:
Looks like the 997 C4 has the same 'quirk' as the 996 C4. :grin:

>> http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=80209&highlight=fuel+gauge

Well, who'd have thought :wink:

photo%2525201.jpg

photo%2525202.jpg

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member