Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front windscreen

tp81

Suzuka
Looking for some advice. My car is in having a fair mount of work done on the body. While the car is in I am keen to sort the ever present front windscreen squeak.

Trying to investigate screen type, etc it would appear that the current screen has no markings at all. :dont know:

Perhaps not quite right in terms of fit and hence the squeak?

Should all screen not carry a kitemark?

Is there a recommended way of fitting that will eliminate the squeak, I have search a few threads but so far I am struggling to find a definitive answer?

Oh, I have also priced a new screen via Porsche, £744 plus seals. :eek:

The screen is perfect, so a new screen is not an option. The squeak might have to stay but if there is a way to eliminate this I would like to give it a try.

tp81 said:
Trying to investigate screen type, etc it would appear that the current screen has no markings at all. :dont know:

Perhaps not quite right in terms of fit and hence the squeak?

Should all screen not carry a kitemark?

British Standards kite mark does not apply to cars, but the screen should have markings in the bottom left corner (maybe obscured by your tax disc?) including an "E" European Type Approval symbol (e.g., E1 for Germany) and the USA "DOT" (= Department of Transport) certification symbol.
If you don't find any markings, it would suggest that it might be an illegal knock-off. :dont know:

It might not be the screen that's squeaking, rather the rubber seal against the bodywork.

If you haven't got Teflon Tape under there, you need it.

I don't think there is any tape. That's also why I am keen to get some advice on the process. I assume the window has to come out for the tape to go in or is this slipped in place with the seal out?

Teflon tape just goes in the screen aperture. No need to remove screen. I had a squeaky screen surround replaced 2 years ago. It has just started squeaking again. I will replace it shortly at a cost of around £36 and firmly expect the squeaking to stop. Reasonably convinced that the rubber hardens with time and UV, causing the noises.

blindspot said:
Teflon tape just goes in the screen aperture. No need to remove screen. I had a squeaky screen surround replaced 2 years ago. It has just started squeaking again. I will replace it shortly at a cost of around £36 and firmly expect the squeaking to stop. Reasonably convinced that the rubber hardens with time and UV, causing the noises.

I'd agree with this.

Simple to find out - drive around with no trim/surround thingy fitted.

Be aware that an original OPC sourced windscreen from Pilkington is manufactured to a very poor standard, specifically the frame that the screen is bonded into. Where this surround is joined is a mess, it will require your installer to make some cosmetic alterations before it is installed as this joint is at the bottom of the screen in front of the passenger and clearly visible from inside the vehicle! This is a known manufacturing fault that Porsche UK has no control over and Germany doesn't care, not the end of the world though if you know this upfront and make the necessary alterations. Regarding the squeak, this is no longer an issue as the external rubber seal if replaced for a new one now has a fabric back, so no Tefflon tape required, result!!!

Mike-M said:
Be aware that an original OPC sourced windscreen from Pilkington is manufactured to a very poor standard, specifically the frame that the screen is bonded into. Where this surround is joined is a mess, it will require your installer to make some cosmetic alterations before it is installed as this joint is at the bottom of the screen in front of the passenger and clearly visible from inside the vehicle! This is a known manufacturing fault that Porsche UK has no control over and Germany doesn't care, not the end of the world though if you know this upfront and make the necessary alterations. Regarding the squeak, this is no longer an issue as the external rubber seal if replaced for a new one now has a fabric back, so no Tefflon tape required, result!!!

My screen is being replaced at Langley Autocraft this next week. How does this manufacturing problem manifest itself? Do you have any pictures at all?

rottenbend said:
Mike-M said:

My screen is being replaced at Langley Autocraft this next week. How does this manufacturing problem manifest itself? Do you have any pictures at all?

As I mentioned, the screen is set into a frame which appears to be a single length of whatever the material is which wraps around the screen, the problem is where the two ends meet and are bonded together! This is done very poorly with a silicone bonding agent used to joint the two pieces been applied very poorly! All I would recommend is going to view the screen before its installed and check it is ok! Porsche UK recommended I could change the screen under warranty; however they did qualify that I may go through a number of Alternative screens, only to find the rest could be worse!!! Sorry have no pictures, i was too irate at the time as my screen had been installed along with a number of installer issues such as serious scratches to my wing etc etc; however that is another story!!!

Regarding the original post from the OP - Teflon Tape, No new screen, Creaking Sorted (99% sure).

There are many horror stories on here about fitting new screens.

I know, because I've posted one of them, having had 3 OEM Porsche screens fitted which didn't fit and with my car out of action for three months.

Don't read the posts, get the tape or the new seal with the new backing and you should be ok.

NB: Only replace a screen if it's an MOT failure, and in that case get it done at a good bodyshop or a Classic Windscreen replacement centre.

The rest are shite, and I don't care what anyone else says.

Wise words Kim :agree:

Hi,

Search my post about my windscreen story, cost peanuts to replace and NO squeaks. After reading all the horror stories on here I know I did the right thing and at Stg 100.00 it was great value for money. As I've said before the UK has gone mad!! if people stop paying silly prices for things they will drop.

In my business life I visited numerous manufacturing companies, what it cost them to make an item and what it was finally sold for to the end user was never justified IMHO. (It usually went through a few intermediaries though with everyone taking their share of the pie) Business is business and everyone has the right to make a "reasonable " profit but I just hate being ripped off.

ATB :)

Also have a look at my screen topic ..
But in summary , follow Kim's advice , no need for new screen , just get the Teflon tape (which is not cheap!)
If you want to satisfy yourself that the problem lies in the rubber surround rubbing on the paintwork ,open your sunroof (assuming you have one!) and pop your hand on the surround as you drive .. You'll feel the rubber moving against the bodywork , in tune with the squeaks!

For heavens sake don't remove the screen unless absolutely necessary!

orangecurry said:
Simple to find out - drive around with no trim/surround thingy fitted.

:yeah: :agree:
+1
That's what I did, felt like a different car.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j44k-dv
Back